Semiconductors for Femtocells and Picocells to Grow Tenfold by 2016 Center of gravity shifting to carrier-class Small Cells, creating a $1.3B semiconductor market
CAMPBELL, Calif., Oct. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Multi-core processors, transceivers, amplifiers, filters, and TCXOs will see unprecedented growth in HetNet small cells, with market size growing at more than 50% per year, according to a new report released by Mobile Experts.
"The small-cell market is shifting from coverage applications to capacity applications," explained Joe Madden, Principal Analyst at Mobile Experts. "The average selling prices of semiconductors such as processors and power amplifiers will be increasing over the next few years, due to rapid growth in high-capacity, carrier-class small cells."
"While the residential femtocell market will continue, we predict bigger growth in HetNet applications with small cells that are an integral part of the network. Mobile operators are focusing more attention on carrier femtocells and picocells to boost capacity in high-density urban areas. The high reliability and interoperation of these capacity cells will drive the industry to use a different group of semiconductor vendors and different software solutions."
The new report, Semiconductors for Small Cells, provides:
- A five-year forecast for femtocells, picocells, and "carrier femtocells" (also known as metrocells or "metro femtocells")
- A five year-forecast for semiconductors to support small cells, including:
- Baseband processors
- RF Transceivers
- Power Amplifiers
- TCXO, OCXO, and synchronization solutions
- Technical details of each semiconductor segment and key requirements:
- Multi-core processor architectures
- Transceiver architectures, including integration of transmitters and receivers
- Transition of GaAs MMIC amplifiers to LDMOS and GaN amplifiers in higher-power applications
- Transition from SAW filters to ceramic filters
- Tight new accuracy requirements for TCXOs due to outdoor deployment
- Forecasted component ASP and revenues for five years
- Market shares for semiconductor vendors in the small cell segment
- Block Diagrams and BOM cost estimates for femtocells and picocells
- Listed design wins for multi-core processor vendors
- Profiles of key suppliers
About Mobile Experts LLC:
Mobile Experts provides insightful market analysis for the mobile infrastructure and mobile handset markets. The company has published three different studies for comprehensive analysis of the Small Cells market during 2011: Small Cells and HetNets; Backhaul for Small Cells; and Semiconductors for Small Cells.
SOURCE Mobile Experts LLC