ALTOONA, Pa., Jan. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sheetz is in the national spotlight as one of a select few businesses to make Fortune magazine's annual 100 Best Companies to Work For list, debuting at #87.
The only Pennsylvania-based business on the list, Sheetz earned the coveted spot in part for its outstanding workplace practices, policies and procedures. The majority of Sheetz' total score, however, comes from employee feedback gathered by Fortune through independent surveys. They provide information on company culture and work environment.
"We are really proud that we've created a place that people feel good about coming to every day," says President and CEO, Joe S. Sheetz. "We work very hard to constantly improve the work lives of our associates."
Sheetz is in great company with some highly respected, well-known companies in the Fortune rankings. Google, SAS, Zappos, Capital One, Nordstrom and Whole Foods Market all are among the group honored with places on the list.
Maintaining and advancing workplace practices and environment is especially challenging for a company like Sheetz, which currently has just over 15,000 employees working at 466 stores, corporate offices and support sites.
"Because of our size we work that much harder to implement comparable and attractive benefits for all," adds Joe Sheetz. "Our team has been pretty creative though, developing practices that are a custom fit for our family of employees."
Sheetz consistently lands on state-level lists of best places to work. Four of the six states where Sheetz operates have competitions and the retailer is ranked in all of them. They've made the list in Pennsylvania 12 times in a row – the only PA company to do so – and they hold spots in Virginia, Ohio and is currently named #3 in North Carolina.
Video and sound from today's press conference available for media download. No password required: https://fgvmedia.sharefile.com/download.aspx?id=sdeb0c73bc6f4a778
What Makes Sheetz a Great Place to Work?
A Chance To Advance
About 83% of current store managers were promoted from within. A whopping 68% of them started their Sheetz careers at an entry-level, hourly position. We're steadily growing and have never had a layoff. With Sheetz, you have the job security and opportunity to build a long, successful career.
Great Bennies for Part-Timers
Employees who work part-time for Sheetz can be eligible for big benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), Employee Stock Ownership and our quarterly bonus.
Money isn't everything, but it sure is important when it comes to paying the bills. Our wages are in the top 10% of all retailers and our employees received more than $40 million in bonus money last year.
Recognition for a Job Well Done
Our employees do great work, and we like to reward them. Some of our gestures are big ones, like two-day, all expenses paid resort retreats for employees (plus guests) who are celebrating service milestones and our annual management conferences, typically held in warm weather locations so we can recharge and reset for the new fiscal year. Some are smaller but no less important, like our Show the Love Kits full of posters, pins, cards and coupons that make it easy for employees to recognize their coworkers for the big events in their lives and the day-to-day excellence they show on the job.
Connection With Your Community
Our employees say participation in fundraising and event planning for our corporate charitable endeavors is one of their favorite things about working with Sheetz. We support several corporate charities (see Sheetz Snapshot below) as well as thousands of smaller projects in the more than 460 communities where we operate. Our employees who demonstrate exceptional passion for community service are eligible for our annual Dan McMahon Spirit of Giving Award, and those who direct their passions specifically to our Sheetz Family Charities program are eligible to be nominated to our Wish Givers Club, which sends winners and their guests to Give Kids the World Village in Orlando, FL, to work with our partners at the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
An Opportunity to Excel
One of the defining aspects of the Sheetz culture is a drive to win. It's what pushed us to think beyond the convenience store category to challenge the quick service restaurant industry, carving out our own special niche as a convenience restaurant. Our people are very competitive. On a team level, we hold awards ceremonies annually recognizing the stores and districts that have succeeded in areas of quality assurance, customer service, food safety and overall operational success. On an individual level, every employee working in one of our stores is eligible to compete in our annual MTO Olympics competition, where our fastest and most accurate sub and sandwich makers and baristas advance through the rounds to compete on a big stage for cash prizes and year-long bragging rights.
- Headquarters in Altoona, PA
- 460+ Convenience Stores serving over 1 million customers every day
- 38 New and rebuilt stores scheduled in 2014
- Family Owned – 60 Year Anniversary in 2012
- Selected one of the Best Places to Work in PA (12 Straight Years)
- Also Best Places to Work in Ohio, Virginia and #3 in North Carolina in 2013
- Selected Top 10 Most Innovative Quick Service Restaurants For the Decade
- Selected Top 25 Most Influential Retailers Worldwide
- Convenience Store Chain of the Year/Convenience Retailer of the Year
- Locations in Six States: Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and North Carolina
- #58 on the Forbes 500 List of Privately Owned Businesses in 2013
- 2013 Total Sales: Over 6.6 billion
- Gasoline Sales of 3+ Million Gallons Daily and over 1% of all gas sold in the USA on any given day.
- Over 15,500 total employees
- 13,750+ Store Employees (6 Store Level Job Positions)
- Average Employees Per Store - 32 (Avg. Mgt. Per Store – 7)
- Manager Wage and Bonus Average over $68,000 Yearly
- 1,750+ Support Staff Employees (Over 350 Different Support Staff Job Classifications)
- In 2001 Sheetz opened its own Distribution Center in southern Blair County with over 450 employees
- Sheetz Bros. Kitchen (SBK) commissary built adjacent to our Distribution Center and opened in 2008 offering employment opportunities to over 425 people.
- 13,750+ Store Employees (6 Store Level Job Positions)
- Employee bonuses paid in 2013 over $40 million dollars
- Donated $13.5 million dollars through Sheetz Family Charities (SFC)
- For the Kidz charity provided $8.9 million dollars to ensure needy children have gifts at Christmas. Through this program, SFC has helped 70,000 families since 1992.
- Through Make-A-Wish SFC sponsors over 40 family trips to Walt Disney World each year.
- Special Olympics have received over $2.9 million dollars. SFC was PA's largest contributor as well as an inductee into the Special Olympics Hall of Fame.
- The Big Joe Scholarship Fund – Awarded 17 scholarships totaling $95,000 to employees or the children of employees for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- In addition, Sheetz donates millions of dollars in cash and products to worthwhile community endeavors each year.
- 2012 Sheetz Employee 11,000+ sq. ft. Shwellness Center opened in Claysburg, PA
- Fiscal 2015 is projected to operate 500 stores, projected capital investment including new and rebuilt unit growth of 10% annually
- 2014 Second Distribution Center/Bakery to open in Burlington, NC
SOURCE Sheetz, Inc.