Newly unveiled store in Burlington, Ontario offers customer extras including in-store chef, wellbeing counsellor, natural source department and special events centre
BURLINGTON, ON, Nov. 28, 2013 /CNW/ - Sobeys Inc. today announced the grand opening of Sobeys extra in Burlington, Ontario, which delivers on Sobeys' Better Food for All mission with a wide variety of fresh and great tasting products, healthy and wholesome choices, sustainable options and time-saving meal ideas. The newly refurbished 58,000 square foot store, located on Brant Street, is the first Sobeys store in Canada to receive the "extra" designation.
"The grand opening of the first Sobeys extra is a significant milestone in our journey to bring better food to all Canadians," says Marc Poulin, President & CEO, Sobeys Inc. "Our new store concept offers customers an inviting atmosphere of food discovery while also offering many extras that will help customers to eat better, feel better and do better.
Sobeys extra offers consumers an enhanced Sobeys shopping experience with extra departments, extra products, extra experts and services, and extra savings; all backed by Sobeys 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: any purchase can be returned or replaced if the customer is not happy with it.
What can customers expect at Sobeys extra?
In addition to Sobeys produce, meat, seafood, bakery, floral experts and our Sobeys pharmacists, the store is pleased to introduce the following experts to help guide customers through food discovery and education:
- In-store Chef offers advice, food tastings and classes, to help customers discover new products and great meal solutions.
- Wellbeing Counsellor answers health and diet questions, and helps shoppers discover better food.
- Cheese Ambassador provides expert guidance in selecting from hundreds of available cheeses, along with new entertaining ideas.
- The new Special Events Centre is an inviting and well-equipped space for better food and wellbeing events hosted by Sobeys' food and health experts.
Extra Departments and Products
Sobeys Extra has expanded its products to ensure an abundance of fresh, quality choices for customers.
- Sobeys' Kitchen: Customers can enjoy fresh ready-to-eat or ready-to-heat prepared meals daily right from Sobeys Kitchen, including freshly made sushi and noodle dishes; stone oven-baked pizza; hot roast beef dinners from the Carvery; freshly roasted coffee and fruity smoothies from the Smoothie Bar.
- Expanded Bakery: Offers Artisan Bread baked in store with pure ingredients; store-made Montreal and New York style bagels; real cream topped fruit cakes; all-butter pastries and gourmet cakes.
- Natural Source and Wellbeing Departments: More than 4,000 products that support health, energy and diet goals including organic, sugar-free options, vitamin supplements and natural healthcare products. Also available are more than 600 gluten-free products.
- Expanded Produce Department: Offers ready-to-eat, store-made cut fruit and salads, pre-cut vegetables, a wide variety of organic and local produce and Signature Sobeys fresh programs like potatoes displayed by usage and tomatoes by sweetness. Consumers can trust that Sobeys is providing the freshest and tastiest ingredients for their next meal, and helping them eat better food.
- Premium Meat and Seafood Departments: Feature expert butchers who will custom cut meat for any occasion. Customers will find a vast selection of value-added meat and seafood preparations that are ready to cook, Certified Humane beef, pork and chicken, as well as MSC Certified fish products.
- Premium Cheese and Deli Departments: Offer a wide selection of specialty deli meats and cheeses. New samples daily.
- In addition to weekly and monthly specials, Sobeys aspires to be Burlington's low-price destination on essential items that customers regularly purchase, like butter, chicken, eggs, milk and potatoes; and better food choices, such as almond milk, organic bananas, organic eggs, and quinoa.
- Sobeys helps make the better food basket affordable by price checking over 3,000 items monthly, offering over 3,000 low-price features, providing bonus Club Sobeys Points on over 1,000 products, and offering more than 4,000 Private Label products.
About Sobeys Inc.
Proudly Canadian, with headquarters in Stellarton, Nova Scotia, Sobeys has been serving the food shopping needs of Canadians for 106 years. A wholly-owned subsidiary of Empire Company Limited (TSX:EMP.A), Sobeys owns or franchises more than 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as more than 330 retail fuel locations. Sobeys and its franchise affiliates employ more than 124,000 people. The company's goal is to be widely recognized as the best food retailer and workplace environment in Canada. More information on Sobeys Inc. can be found at www.sobeyscorporate.com.
SOURCE SOBEYS INC.
Image with caption: "Store manager, Scott Valiquette, cuts the ribbon at the new Sobeys extra Burlington. He is joined by left to right: Marc Poulin, President and CEO, Sobeys Inc.; Keith Portelli, Director Operations and Councillor Rick Craven, City of Burlington. (CNW Group/SOBEYS INC.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131128_C5853_PHOTO_EN_34023.jpg
Image with caption: "Sobeys invites shoppers to visit its first Sobeys extra store - Newly unveiled store in Burlington, Ontario offers customer extras including in-store chef, wellbeing counsellor, natural source department and special events centre (CNW Group/SOBEYS INC.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131128_C5853_PHOTO_EN_34021.jpg
Image with caption: "Sobeys invites shoppers to visit its first Sobeys extra store - Newly unveiled store in Burlington, Ontario offers customer extras including in-store chef, wellbeing counsellor, natural source department and special events centre (CNW Group/SOBEYS INC.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131128_C5853_PHOTO_EN_34022.jpg