Unveils details of new brand positioning and partnership with Chef Jamie Oliver
STELLARTON, NS, Sept. 12, 2013 /CNW/ - Sobeys Inc. today announced the launch of the new brand positioning for the Sobeys banner of stores aimed at encouraging and helping Canadians explore the world of better food. In partnership with Chef Jamie Oliver, Sobeys is setting out on a journey to show Canadians how to eat better.
Building on a 106-year tradition of food innovation, Sobeys is changing the shopping experience to reflect this new commitment to better food. Starting this week, Sobeys plans to offer Canadians better food experiences that allow them to enjoy fresh and tasty food, shop for healthy and wholesome products, make sustainable choices and save time.
"We know Canadians want to eat better, feel better and do better, and as a leading Canadian retailer, we have a responsibility to help them," says Marc Poulin, President & CEO, Sobeys Inc. "We recognize that for some people eating better food means having an apple instead of a cookie. For others, it means finding ways to manage a health issue or discovering new products, ingredients, flavours or recipes. We're going to continue meeting the daily needs of Canadians but will also exceed their expectations by bringing to life a whole new world of fresh and fun ingredients."
Customer research shows that 90 per cent of Canadians believe a grocery store could play a role in helping them eat better. Working with world-renowned chef and campaigner Jamie Oliver, Sobeys is committed to being the store Canadians turn to for better food.
"It's such an honour to be working with Sobeys as an official member of the team. Sobeys is a wonderful retailer that's been bringing fresh food to Canadians for more than 100 years now, so it's really exciting to be joining the team and helping to provide better food for all Canadians," says Jamie Oliver. "Together we want to show everyone that making tasty, nutritious meals from scratch can be simple, quick and affordable. By providing people with great quality produce and super useful tips and recipes, as well as arming them with essential cooking skills, our aim is to help people lead healthier, happier lives."
The Better Food Journey
Sobeys' new brand positioning is summed up in the tagline Sobeys Better Food For All, and is brought to life in stores through four main pillars:
1. Enjoying Fresh and Tasty Food: Sobeys' extensive customer research shows that nine out of 10 Canadians believe eating better means consuming more fresh and whole foods. Sobeys is building on its legacy of innovation and developing a variety of signature fresh product programs, examples of which include:
- Tomatoes grouped by sweetness, making it easy for customers to make choices that are right for them
- Guaranteed-ripe avocados
- Potatoes displayed by their recommended usage, be it baked or mashed
- A new, all-natural artisan bread program
Also, to help them cook with and enjoy quality ingredients, customers can visit the Sobeys Better Ingredients sections in the grocery department and find a range of premium quality oils, pastas, imported chocolates, teas and other ingredients.
2. Shopping for Healthy and Wholesome Products: Research found that 70 per cent of Canadians think eating less processed food means eating better. Newly expanded Natural Source sections in Sobeys' grocery departments will feature thousands of products that meet Sobeys' criteria of being free from artificial flavours and preservatives.
3. Choosing Sustainable Products: Better food comes from better sources. Working with Jamie Oliver's team, Sobeys has found producers who meet the requirements for the Certified Humane® certification. Sobeys is now the first major retailer in North America to offer Certified Humane® chicken, pork and beef. The certification means that the animal was treated humanely from birth through slaughter including a nutritious diet without antibiotics or hormones, provided shelter, resting areas and sufficient space, and the ability to engage in natural behaviours.
4. Saving Time: Difficulty preparing quick and tasty meals and a lack of cooking skills are barriers to eating better. Working with Jamie Oliver, Sobeys will provide customers with the tools, tips and recipes they need - in store and online - to prepare healthy, great-tasting and affordable meals at home.
An integrated marketing campaign begins September 12 with the Sobeys Better Food For All tagline that includes a 30-second television spot featuring Jamie Oliver. Additional supporting communication elements include a 90-second online video with Jamie Oliver, radio spots, online advertising and page takeovers. Sobeys is also launching Sobeys Better Food News, which will feature better food ideas, new ingredients and timely recipes as a special four-page insert in the Sobeys weekly flyer and at the brand's newly redesigned website Sobeys.com.
Sobeys plans to unveil new products and better food solutions over the next several months as it strives to become Canada's destination for better food.
B-roll can be found here.
About Sobeys Inc.
Proudly Canadian, with headquarters in Stellarton, Nova Scotia, Sobeys has been serving the food shopping needs of Canadians for 106 years. A wholly-owned subsidiary of Empire Company Limited (TSX:EMP.A), Sobeys owns or franchises more than 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, and Thrifty Foods, as well as Lawton's Drug Stores. Sobeys and its franchise affiliates employ more than 95,000 people. The company's goal is to be widely recognized as the best food retailer and workplace environment in Canada. More information on Sobeys Inc. can be found at www.sobeyscorporate.com.
About Jamie Oliver
Jamie Oliver is a phenomenon in the world of food. Most famous for his Emmy-Award winning television series, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on CBC, Jamie has become a campaigner for better school food and food education. The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation has created an annual global day of action - Food Revolution Day www.foodrevolutionday.com - inspiring people all over the world to stand up for real food, and Canada has been one of the most active countries for the past two years.
His television programs are broadcast on Food Network Canada and the accompanying bestselling cookbooks are published by HarperCollins Canada. Jamie lives in London and Essex with his wife, Jools, and their children, Poppy, Daisy, Petal and Buddy.
SOURCE Sobeys Inc.
Image with caption: "Sobeys Inc. announced today the launch of the new brand positioning for the Sobeys banner of stores aimed at encouraging and helping Canadians explore the world of better food. (CNW Group/Sobeys Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130912_C6546_PHOTO_EN_30738.jpg
Image with caption: "Sobeys acquires 213 Safeway stores in Western Canada, strengthening its position as a leading grocery retailer in the country. (CNW Group/Sobeys Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130912_C6546_PHOTO_EN_30740.jpg