Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Names 2013's Top STEM Contributors
INDUSTRY, Calif., Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) announced today the recipients of this year's prestigious STAR Awards, recognizing key contributors in the Hispanic community in the fields of science, technology, math and engineering (STEM).
The honorable STAR Awards are presented annually by SHPE, recognizing individuals and corporations nationally for their dedication, commitment and selfless efforts to the growth and advancement of Hispanic students and professionals pursuing STEM careers. The STAR Awards offers several honored categories representing exceptional college students to industry professionals and public and private corporations.
The recipients of the 2013 STAR Awards will be recognized at this year's SHPE National Conference, October 30 – November 3 in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Indianapolis Convention Center.
SHPE is pleased to announce this year's 19 outstanding STAR Award winners in each of our honorable categories.
- Community Service Award – Deborah Berebichez, Ph.D, MSCI
- Company of the Year – General Motors
- Corporate Achievement – Henry Lizarraga, The Boeing Company
- Diversity Award – Jose Borges, Northrop Grumman
- Educator of the Year Higher Ed – Dr. Nelson Cardona, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
- Government Agency of Year – NAVSEA
- Hispanic in Technology Award, Corporate – Manuel E. Gonzalez, Chevron Corporation
- Hispanic in Technology Award, Government – Miguel Maldonado, Wright Patterson Air Force Base
- Innovator Award – Jose Siqueira, Kimberly Clark Corporation
- Jaime Oaxaca – Diana Gomez, California High-Speed Rail Authority
- Junipero Sera Award – Lynnette Madsen, NSF
- Manager of the Year – Miguel Ortega, Exelon Corporation
- Professional Role Model – Justa A. Trevino, Raytheon
- Promising Engineer Award – Diego Jaramillo, Chevron Corporation
- SHPE Star of Today Award – Teresa Hamid, IBM Corporation
- SHPE Star of Tomorrow Award – Nicole Theberge, NAVAIR
- Student Role Model, Graduate – Eva Gabriela Baylon, Stanford University
- Student Role Model, Undergrad – Victor Cueto, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Young Investigator Award – Yuriy Roman-Leshkov
"We are pleased to award these exceptional individuals and corporations," said Pilar Montoya, SHPE CEO. "It is my pleasure to recognize these individuals and companies for their commitment to the Hispanic community, ensuring that our next generation Hispanic leaders are prepared to pursue careers in the STEM fields."
SHPE 2013 National Conference
The SHPE National Conference is the largest annual technical conference in the nation bringing together more than 6,000 professionals, educators, students and corporations from throughout the U.S. for technical and professional development workshops, design contests, technical competitions, engineering challenges, network opportunities and Career Expo. Pre-register online and learn about travel and hotel discounts. More information, including early conference registration rates effective through September 25, 2013, can be found by visiting the SHPE National Conference website at www.conference.shpe.org/shpe2013.
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers offers a network of 341 chapters nationally. SHPE's mission is to change lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development. SHPE provides a variety of programming and resources including hosting the largest annual technical conference in the nation. For more information, visit www.shpe.org.
SOURCE Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers