Spectra Energy Employees Complete 228 Volunteer Projects Across the U.S. and Canada
HOUSTON, Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Spectra Energy employees and retirees have completed 228 volunteer projects this year in communities throughout the U.S. and Canada as part of the company's "Helping Hands in Action" program.
Over 2,000 employees, retirees, their families and friends contributed more than 10,000 volunteer hours to 200 non-profit organizations in communities across the Spectra Energy enterprise. Projects ranged from cleaning up beaches, schools, camps and parks to preparing meals for those in need. Some examples include:
- To celebrate the 100th anniversary of Union Gas, Spectra Energy's local distribution company in Ontario, Canada, employees there participated in more than 100 volunteer projects in 100 days. These included assembling beds at a YWCA residence, raising funds for people with Down Syndrome, and beautifying a new equine center that provides riding therapy for people with disabilities.
- In Houston, employee volunteers made 4,000 sack lunches that were distributed through the SEARCH Homeless Project. Employees also worked with Rebuilding Together Houston to repair an elderly woman's home.
- Volunteers from Spectra Energy's Southeast Field Operations helped build a wheelchair ramp for a needy family in Tenn., cleaned up the Padre Island National Seashore in Corpus Christi, Texas, refurbished an elementary school in Egan, La., and spruced up a Little League field in Goliad, Texas.
- Employees in Brewster, New York; Harrisburg, Penn.; and Westwood, Mass., spruced up a municipal day camp for children, a wildlife sanctuary and a recreational camp, respectively.
- At the company's western Canada operations, employees raised $34,000 through a golf tournament to support Ronald McDonald Houses in Edmonton and Vancouver. They also volunteered for Brown Bagging for Calgary's Kids, an organization that provides school-aged children with a nutritious lunch that they otherwise may not have.
"Community involvement is a core value at Spectra Energy. By volunteering their time and talent, our employees can, and do, make a tremendous difference in the communities where we live and work," said Spectra Energy President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Ebel.
Spectra Energy's annual, enterprise-wide "Helping Hands in Action" program is a concentrated volunteer effort specifically designed to give back to the local communities where the company operates.
Spectra Energy Corp (NY SE: SE), a FORTUNE 500 company, is one of North America's premier natural gas infrastructure companies serving three key links in the natural gas value chain: gathering and processing, transmission and storage, and distribution. For nearly a century, Spectra Energy and its predecessor companies have developed critically important pipelines and related infrastructure connecting natural gas supply sources to premium markets. Based in Houston, Texas, the company operates in the United States and Canada approximately 19,100 miles of transmission pipeline, more than 305 billion cubic feet of storage, as well as natural gas gathering and processing, natural gas liquids operations and local distribution assets. The company also has a 50 percent ownership in DCP Midstream, one of the largest natural gas gatherers and processors in the United States. Spectra Energy is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indexes and the U.S. S&P 500 Carbon Disclosure Project's Leadership Index for Carbon Disclosure. For more information, visit www.spectraenergy.com.
SOURCE Spectra Energy
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.