AUSTIN, Texas, Jan. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Status Labs, an online reputation management firm in Austin, Texas has shared their Top 5 Tips for crafting a successful PR pitch.
1. Stay on Topic. Thoroughly research and explore the subject matter of every publication prior to pitching. Contacting a journalist that doesn't cover the topic you're pitching isn't only a waste of time, you can be easily be blocked, the kiss of death to any publicist.
2. Think Elevator Pitch. Journalists are limited on time and are often inundated with emails. Keep email pitches as concise as possible, no more than 6 sentences. If you must include a press release, place it at the bottom of the email after your signature giving the journalist the option to learn more. Include a call-to-action by ending the pitch with a questions such as "Does this sound like a fit for XYZ magazine?"
3. Know Your Contact. It's valuable to identify who you are pitching. Most likely, you're going to pitch to the Managing Editor or Assignment Editor. Establish a relationship that lives outside the realm of emails by adding them to your social media networks like Twitter and LinkedIn. Engage with them on social media and share their articles.
4. Offer the World. At times, journalists expect the world, and you should offer it to them. Go above and beyond for the journalist. Accommodate their requests in a timely manner. Provide them with accurate information and high res photography. The easier you make it for the journalist on their end, the greater the chance is they will want to work with you again for future clients.
5. Be a Story Teller. Remember you aren't pitching an advertisement, you're pitching a story. Consider the five factors that make a story newsworthy: Timing, Significance, Proximity, Prominence, and Human Interest. Apply those factors to your pitch and create an angle for the writer. Ask yourself, "Does this pitch read like an ad or a story idea?"
The rules of public relations and image management have changed with the rise of the internet. Most PR firms haven't. Status Labs provides communications strategies and media relations to help clients communicate with key stakeholders. Status Labs "digital first" PR professionals have deep relationships with journalists and bloggers across a variety of industries. Status Labs will help clients engage audiences with compelling content to create emotional experiences that drive participation and sales. Whether the client wants to roll out a new product, manage a politician's image, or just increase their general media footprint, Status Labs offer creative solutions tailored to client needs.
About Status Labs
Status Labs is an online reputation management firm that enables clients to effectively engage audiences with compelling content to drive participation and sales. From increasing a brand's digital footprint to image management, Status Labs offers creative solutions tailored to a client's unique needs. Headquartered in Austin with offices in New York, San Francisco and São Paulo, Status Labs image management works with clients and media around the globe to fulfill international marketing and PR goals.
SOURCE Status Labs