Stay Safe This Summer: What to Know When Using Fire-Related Products
***CONSUMER PROTECTION ALERT***
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) gel fuel recall still in effect
RACINE, Wis., June 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As consumers enjoy their outdoor living areas this summer and prepare to celebrate the Fourth of July, Racine, Wis.-based Real Flame Company wants to remind consumers to educate themselves about the best practices for using fire-related consumer products such as fire pits, outdoor torches and lamps, and fire pots.
Real Flame, a leader in ventless fireplaces for indoor and outdoor use, strongly urges consumers to be aware of the following safety issues:
- The CPSC's recall on pourable gel fuels is still in effect, after these products were responsible for several significant injuries, and in some cases death, in 2011.
- If consumers still have any brand of pourable gel fuel in garages, basements, or elsewhere in the home, they should immediately contact the manufacturer for instructions on how to return the product for a full refund.
- To identify all brands included in the recall, visit the CPSC website at http://www.cpsc.gov/ and enter "gel fuel" in the search engine.
- Treat all fire-related products with extreme care and caution. This includes charcoal grills, wood burning fires, oil-based torches or any other fire-related product.
- Fire adds a beautiful ambiance to any setting. But if instructions for proper use and care are not followed someone can easily get hurt.
- Leave the ignition and re-fueling of fire-related products to the adults. Teach kids about the dangers of fire-related products and be sure they stay a safe distance away from the flames or fire source.
- Remember, never add fuel to an existing fire or to a fireplace that is still hot. Wait until the fire is out and the receptacle has cooled completely. Failure to do so can result in a flashback that could cause severe burns.
- Carefully read all warning labels and directions before using flammable products, and make sure labels and directions do not get thrown away with the packaging.
- After bringing your fire-related products out of winter storage, consumers should revisit the warning labels and directions before using the products again.
- If labels or directions were misplaced or thrown out, consumers should research the product online to refresh themselves about safety measures and proper way to use the products.
"When fire-related products are involved, it is vital that consumers have up-to-date safety information and take the right precautions to ensure they are safely enjoying fire-based products," said Brock Ryan, a former member of the Atlanta, Georgia Fire Department, current CEO of Life Safety Solutions plus, and a member of the Real Flame Company safety team.
Real flame wishes you and your family a safe and enjoyable summer season!
About Real Flame Company
For nearly 30 years Real Flame Company, a division of Jensen Metal Products, has been the leader in the production and sale of ventless fireplace fuel and accessories. All of its products are manufactured to the highest standards and naturally, safety is the top priority in its designs. Tested and approved for indoor and outdoor use, Real Flame ventless fireplaces and related products meet all clean air requirements established by both OSHA and the EPA.
SOURCE Real Flame Company
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.