Subaru introduces its first production hybrid model at the 2013 New York International Auto Show
MISSISSAUGA, ON, March 28, 2013 /CNW/ - Subaru Canada, Inc. (SCI) today announced the unveiling of brand's first-ever production hybrid vehicle, the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid, at the 2013 New York International Auto Show at the Jacob K. Javits Center. Based on the popular XV Crosstrek crossover introduced for 2013, the 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid model will arrive in Subaru dealerships during the fourth quarter of 2013.
In developing its first-ever hybrid, Subaru chose one of its popular, go-anywhere crossover vehicle platforms. As a result, the new XV Crosstrek Hybrid offers all the capability and versatility of the gasoline-powered XV Crosstrek. The added benefits of a hybrid powertrain, including higher fuel efficiency, broaden the vehicle's appeal. Key to this approach is that the XV Crosstrek Hybrid shares the gasoline model's Subaru symmetrical full-time All-Wheel Drive and chassis capability. For example, the 220 millimetres of ground clearance is the same and is higher than some dedicated SUVs, while providing a low step-in height.
With the XV Crosstrek Hybrid, Subaru re-engineered the chassis to handle the added weight of the battery system, improving handling, steering and ride. In addition to chassis changes, the XV Crosstrek Hybrid added extra sound insulation, a start/stop feature, revised HVAC, a new gauge cluster and numerous other changes.
The Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid combines a 2.0-litre Subaru BOXER engine with a 13.4-horsepower electric motor that's integrated into the Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). A 100-volt, 13.5-kilowatt nickel-metal hydride battery is located under a revised rear floor area and the engine uses an integrated starter/generator for the automatic start/stop feature. The compact hybrid system weighs just 95 kilograms and places the electric motor just behind the transmission and in front of the continuously variable transfer clutch. With the addition of all the new features, the XV Crosstrek Hybrid weighs approximately 136 kilograms more than the gasoline engine XV Crosstrek.
Under light acceleration, the Subaru-engineered hybrid system uses the electric motor for initial vehicle acceleration and then starts the gasoline engine once underway. The electric motor can also provide motor assist for acceleration in parallel with the gasoline engine and an EV mode will operate the vehicle in certain low-speed situations.
Same Capability and Utility
Significantly, the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid builds upon the utility and versatility of the gas model, while also offering enhanced handling response and quieter driving performance.
The Active Torque Split version of Subaru symmetrical full-time AWD provides the same operation and benefits as in the gasoline model. The system sends power to all four wheels all the time and adjusts the torque distribution in response to acceleration, cornering and road conditions.
In addition to optimizing the 2.0-litre FB-series SUBARU BOXER engine to reduce internal friction, Subaru applied a number of other efficiency-enhancing technologies to the XV Crosstrek Hybrid. An Auto Start/Stop system shuts down the gasoline engine when the vehicle is stopped. Brake regeneration works when the car is coasting or the driver has applied the brake, recapturing kinetic energy from the turning wheels to recharge the battery.
All-season tires are mounted on new aluminum alloy wheels with an aerodynamic design. Exclusive to the North American market, a new Active Grille Shutter system helps reduce air resistance. The air conditioning system uses a temperature and humidity sensor to optimize operation for reduced draw on engine power.
Subaru retuned the platform's suspension and revised the steering ratio to give the XV Crosstrek Hybrid sharper handling response. Numerous enhancements that help to reduce noise include thicker floor sections, under-floor covers and additional sound insulation.
In addition to different wheels, exterior enhancements readily differentiate the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid from the gasoline model. Hybrid badges appear at the front edges of the front doors and on the tailgate. A new Plasma Green Pearl exterior color, exclusive to the XV Crosstrek Hybrid, spotlights the vehicle's environmental character.
Inside, the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid features a clean, cool blue theme with silver trim to underscore the advanced hybrid engineering. The instrument cluster, exclusive to this model, uses gradations of the blue color scheme to provide a sense of depth.
The colour multi-function display shows the hybrid system's energy flow according to driving conditions. Using switching screens, the display was designed to combine driving operation information with entertainment content. The screen can be easily viewed from any seat.
About Subaru Canada, Inc.
Subaru Canada, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, the company markets and distributes Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of over 85 authorized dealers across Canada. For more information, please visit www.subaru.ca or www.pr.subaru.ca.
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- First ever hybrid vehicle from Subaru is based on the XV Crosstrek crossover model, with added benefits of hybrid powertrain plus special chassis tuning for more agile handling.
- Roomy, versatile, fun-to-drive crossover that combines bold 5-door design with an expanded-capability chassis, high fuel economy and everyday comfort.
- 2.0-litre SUBARU BOXER engine optimized for efficiency.
- 13.4 hp electric motor integrated into Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).
- 100v, 13.5kw nickel-metal hydride battery is located under a revised rear floor area.
- Brake regeneration system.
- Integrated starter/generator provides automatic start/stop function.
- Standard Subaru symmetrical full-time All-Wheel Drive functions the same as on gasoline-powered model.
- A generous 220 mm of ground clearance is the same as for the gas model and is higher than some dedicated SUVs, while providing a low step-in height.
- Preserves utility and versatility of gas model, giving up just 19.8 L of total cargo area capacity to accommodate hybrid battery.
- Colour multi-function display shows the hybrid system's energy flow according to driving conditions. Using switching screens, the display was designed to combine driving operation information with entertainment content, and its screen can be easily viewed from any seat.
- Standard heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer.
- Active Torque Split AWD: electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch actively manages the power split based on acceleration, deceleration and available traction. System always powers all four wheels and will transfer power to the wheels with the best grip.
- Ring-shaped reinforcement frame body structure provides outstanding occupant protection; engineered to provide optimal performance in the latest crash test regimen. Standard safety features include 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions, front seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters, front, front-side and curtain SRS air bags, driver's knee air bag, whiplash-protection front seats and rear-seat headrests for all three seating positions.
- Rollover sensor.
|Body:||5-door / 5-seat|
|Cargo:||609L/1,422 L(rear seats up/down)|
|Weight: (Premium)||1,560 kg|
|Engine:||DOHC 4-cyl. 2.0-litre BOXER|
|Horsepower||148 @ 6,000 rpm|
|Torque||145 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm|
|Electric motor:||13.4 hp / 48 lb.-ft.|
|Projected mpg, city/hwy.||28/34 (US)|
Key Standard Features
- 24-hour roadside assistance for new-car limited warranty period
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/55R17 tires
- 3-spoke steering wheel with tilt/telescoping adjustable steering column and switches for Bluetooth, audio and cruise control
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, Brake Assist Brake Override and Brake Regeneration systems
- 60/40-split fold-down rear seatback
- AM/FM stereo system with single-disc CD player, Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity and audio streaming, Radio Data Broadcast System (RDBS), iPod control capability, USB port, 3.5 mm aux. input jack and 6 speakers
- 12v power outlets in dash and centre console
- Air conditioning with air filtration
- Heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer
- Cargo tray (removable)
- Cargo cover (retractable)
- Cargo tie-down hooks
- Carpeted floor mats
- Centre console adjustable armrest
- Chrome interior door handles
- Cruise control
- Dark tint privacy glass
- Digital clock
- Dual visor vanity mirrors
- ECO gauge (fuel economy)
- Electric power steering
- Auto on/off headlights
- Height-adjustable driver's seat
- Incline start assist
- Colour multi-function display with energy flow display
- Outside temperature gauge with road surface freeze indicator
- Power door locks
- Power mirrors with integrated turn signals (body colour)
- Power windows / driver's one-touch auto up/ down and pinch protection
- Rear window wiper with washer
- Roof rails
- Security system with engine immobilizer
- Front and front-side air bags, side curtain air bags and driver's knee air bag
- Variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) with traction control system (TCS) and rollover sensor
- Automatic climate control system
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Chrome exterior door handles
- LED taillights
- Rear-seat centre armrest with dual cup holders
- Storage tray under the cargo floor
- Power sunroof
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
|Vehicle type||5-door, 5-passenger crossover; body with special aerodynamic enhancements, including active grille shutter system|
|Hybrid system||4-cyl. BOXER engine and Lineartronic continuously variable transmission (CVT) with integrated electric motor; integrated starter/generator for auto start/stop function (has dedicated 12V battery); brake regeneration|
|Electric motor||13.4 hp, 48 lb.-ft.|
|Hybrid battery||13.5kW, 100V nickel-metal-hydride battery; drive motor inverter and DC/DC converter installed under rear cargo area|
|Gasoline engine||4-cyl. horizontally opposed (BOXER), alloy cylinder block and cylinder heads|
|Displacement||1,995 cc / 122 cu. in.|
|Bore x stroke||3.31 in. x 3.54 in.|
|Horsepower||148 hp @ 6,000 rpm|
|Torque||145 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm|
|Fuel system||Sequential multi-port fuel injection, electronic throttle control|
|Valvetrain||Double overhead chain-driven camshafts (DOHC), 4 valves per cylinder, Dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS) controls valve timing on intake and exhaust camshafts; tumble generator valves|
|Ignition||Direct type with platinum-tipped sparkplugs|
|Transmission||Lineartronic CVT (continuously variable transmission) with integrated 13.4-hp electric motor and mechanical/electric dual drive transmission pump|
|Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive||Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive with electronically managed continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch|
|Stability/traction control||Vehicle Dynamics Control with all-wheel, all-speed traction control (TCS) and rollover sensor|
|Chassis||Unitized body construction, ring-shaped reinforcement frame safety structure|
|Suspension||4-wheel independent, raised, with special sport tuning exclusive to this model|
|Front||MacPherson-type struts, lower L-arms, coil springs, stabilizer bar, hydraulic engine mounts|
|Rear||Double wishbone, coil springs, stabilizer bar, sub-frame support|
Power-assisted 4-wheel disc with Electronic Brake-force Distribution
(EBD) and 4-channel / 4-sensor ABS with Brake Assist and Brake Override
295 mm ventilated front discs and 274 mm solid rear discs
Brake regeneration integrated into hybrid system
Rack-and-pinion with electric power assist
Turns, lock-to-lock: 2.8
Turning circle: 10.6 m
|Wheels||17 x 7 aluminum alloy, aerodynamic design|
|Width||1780 mm (2,002 mm inc. mirrors)|
|Height||1615 mm with roof rails|
|Ground clearance||220 mm at front crossmember|
|Angle of approach||18.0 deg.|
|Angle of departure||27.7 deg.|
|Ramp breakover angle||20.2 deg.|
|Track (front/rear)||1525 mm / 1525 mm|
|Curb weight||1,560 kg|
|Headroom (f/r)||1,010 mm / 957 mm|
|Legroom (f/r)||1,105 mm / 900 mm|
|Hip room (f/r)||1,326 mm / 1,348 mm|
|Shoulder room (f/r)||1,412 mm / 1,377 mm|
|EPA interior volume||2763 L|
|Trunk liftover height||714 mm|
|Cargo area height||724 mm|
|Cargo volume||Rear seats up/down: 609 L / 1422 L|
|EPA city / highway / combined||28 / 34 / 31 MPG (US)|
|Fuel tank capacity||52 L|
SOURCE Subaru Canada Inc.
More by this Source
Subaru Canada: November Marks New Annual Sales Record
Dec 03, 2013, 16:25 ET
Subaru Canada: Victory at Tall Pines; Second Place Overall in Championship
Dec 02, 2013, 17:25 ET
Subaru Reveals All-new WRX
Nov 20, 2013, 13:55 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.