Swine Flu Outbreak Puts Families on High Alert
Now More Important Than Ever for Families to Follow Proper Hygiene Routines Recommended by CDC
The current strain of swine flu has been identified as an Influenza A virus (specifically an H1N1 strain), which can be spread from human to human and surface to human. While it has yet to be determined how exactly the current strain of swine flu is spreading, influenza is normally spread through the air via droplets expelled from the mouth when an infected person talks, coughs or sneezes. Droplets can land on surfaces or hands and easily spread to others. According to the Centers for Disease Control Ounce of Prevention Initiative, there are simple, inexpensive steps that families can take every day to help minimize their risk of contracting viruses of this nature, and infectious diseases year-round.
- Wash your hands: Thoroughly wash your hands throughout the day with soap and water for 20 seconds (the time it takes to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice), making sure to scrub underneath the nails and the back of the hands. If soap is not readily available, use a hand sanitizer.
- Disinfect surfaces: Regularly disinfect the frequently-touched surfaces in your home with a disinfectant to prevent viruses from spreading from surfaces to people.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick: If you yourself are ill, stay home to avoid spreading germs to those around you.
Many LYSOL(R) Disinfectant products are effective against strains of Influenza A virus and specifically the H1N1 strain.
To learn more about how to help protect your family from swine flu and simple routines to prevent infectious diseases year-round, visit:
- CDC Ounce of Prevention Initiative www.cdc.gov/ounceofprevention
- Germ Protection Center via the Visiting Nurse Associations of America http://vnaa.org/vnaa/g/?h=html/germ_protection_center_influenza
- Centers for Disease Control Swine Flu http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm
- World Health Organization http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html
- Lysol tips and tools www.lysol.com
About LYSOL(R)/ Reckitt Benckiser, Inc.
Reckitt Benckiser is the world leader in household cleaning, (excluding laundry) and has a major presence in health and personal care. The Company is truly global, with over 60 operating companies and over 40 manufacturing facilities worldwide. With sales in 180 countries, the Company employs 22,000 people around the world. Among the Company's leading brands in household are Lysol, the world leader in disinfecting cleaning; Calgonit, Finish and Electrasol, the world leaders in automatic dishwashing; Woolite, world leader in fine fabrics; Vanish and Spray 'n Wash, world leaders in fabric treatment; Mucinex and Delsym, leaders in U.S. cold and cough; and Airwick and Mortein, both leading brands in air care and pest control, respectively. Reckitt Benckiser is headquartered in
SOURCE Reckitt Benckiser