Take the Bite Out of Labor Day
Three Steps to Keep West Nile-Carrying Mosquitoes at Bay
ST. LOUIS, Aug. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Nothing puts a damper on end-of-summer picnics and campouts faster than biting bugs. Unfortunately, mosquitoes and other insect pests come with the summertime territory. You can keep pesky – and sometimes dangerous – bugs from ruining your time outdoors over the long Labor Day weekend by taking three steps for complete protection: Treat yourself, treat the yard and treat your deck, patio or campsite. By creating a Bite-Free Zone™ of protection during your festivities, you can help keep your family safe from mosquitoes and the diseases they may carry.
1. First, use a personal insect repellent as your main line of defense against biting bugs. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends using a repellent when spending time outdoors as a highly effective way to minimize risk of contracting West Nile virus and other mosquito-borne illnesses. Personal repellents are available in a variety of application methods and active ingredients, ranging from the familiar DEET to newer ingredients like oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- DEET-based insect repellents, such as Unscented Backwoods Cutter® and Cutter® All Family® insect repellents, are recommended for those who plan to spend longer periods of time outdoors in more heavily infested conditions. Length of protection depends on the percentage of DEET in the product. Formulas with 30 percent concentrations or lower can be used on children ages 2 months and older.
- Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, derived from the leaves of the Eucalyptus citriodora tree, naturally repels mosquitoes for up to six hours. You can use oil of lemon eucalyptus-based products, like Cutter® Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent, on children 3 years and older.
- Geraniol-based products, such as Cutter® Natural Insect Repellent, utilize the inherent repellent properties of the geranium flower to repel mosquitoes and other nuisance pests for hours.
Did you know that mosquitoes can detect an unprotected area of skin the size of a dime? In addition to using a personal repellent, you can limit your exposure by dressing strategically: Wear long sleeves and long pants outdoors when mosquitoes are most active (around dusk and dawn). Avoid using scented soaps, perfumes and hair spray when you know you're going to be outside for an extended period of time.
2. Second, treat your lawn with an all-purpose, EPA-registered lawn insecticide with residual efficacy against mosquitoes. Cutter® Backyard™ Bug Control Spray Concentrate, for example, creates a barrier against biting bugs in your lawn for up to 8 weeks of control. Spray over the entire yard, including ornamental trees, shrubs and flowers, and onto outdoor surfaces. Just remember to spray early enough to allow the product to completely dry before your Labor Day backyard get-together.
Mosquitoes breed near sources of water. Be proactive in preventing mosquitoes from congregating in your lawn. Remove standing water in flower pots, on pool covers and in outdoor pet bowls. Make sure your gutters are clean and unclogged and that your downspouts drain effectively so puddles aren't left behind after it rains. Mow your lawn regularly to keep mosquitoes from seeking refuge on tall grass.
3. Last, use an area repellent around your patio, deck or campsite to create a zone of mosquito protection while you're spending time outdoors. Easy-to-use, all-weather citronella products, such as the American Holiday-themed Cutter® CitroGuard® Triple Wick Candle, use the natural repelling properties of citronella oil to repel mosquitoes and other flying bugs. If you're camping out or picnicking, bringing along an area fogger such as Cutter® Backyard™ Bug Control Outdoor Fogger can give you several hours of mosquito protection. Just spray infested areas or surfaces and allow the fog to drift over the area.
About United Industries
United Industries Corporation, a Spectrum Brands Company, is the leading manufacturer of value-brand consumer products for the home, lawn and garden insect and weed control markets in the United States. The company offers innovative products of outstanding quality, so consumers benefit from easier insect and weed control solutions. The brands — Spectracide®, Garden Safe®, Hot Shot®, Cutter®, Repel® and Black Flag® — are well recognized by consumers for delivering exceptional value and trusted results. For more information, visit www.UnitedIndustriesCorporation.com.
About Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc.
Spectrum Brands Holdings (NYSE: SPB), a member of the Russell 2000 Index, is a global and diversified consumer products company and a leading supplier of consumer batteries, residential locksets, residential builders' hardware, faucets, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Helping to meet the needs of consumers worldwide, our Company offers a broad portfolio of market-leading, well-known and widely trusted brands including Rayovac®, Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Pfister™, Remington®, VARTA®, George Foreman®, Black & Decker®, Toastmaster®, Farberware®, Tetra®, Marineland®, Nature's Miracle®, Dingo®, 8-in-1®, FURminator®, Littermaid®, Spectracide®, Cutter®, Repel®, Hot Shot® and Black Flag®. Spectrum Brands' products are sold by the world's top 25 retailers and are available in more than one million stores in approximately 140 countries. Spectrum Brands Holdings generated net sales of approximately $3.25 billion in fiscal 2012. On a pro forma basis following the Company's December 2012 acquisition of the Hardware & Home Improvement Group (HHI) from Stanley Black & Decker, Spectrum Brands had net sales of more than $4 billion for fiscal 2012. For more information, visit www.spectrumbrands.com.
Connie Caldwell, United Industries Corp.
SOURCE United Industries Corporation
More by this Source
The Baddest Black Flag® Ever Giveaway may be over ... but the Ride is just Beginning
Dec 04, 2013, 13:45 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.