CHERRY HILL, N.J. and PORTLAND, Maine, Nov. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- The TD Charitable Foundation announced today the 56 winners of its annual "Housing for Everyone" grant competition. Award winners will receive a total of $2 million in grants to support affordable housing initiatives from Maine to Florida, a $500,000 increase in program awards from 2008.
Now in its fifth year, the "Housing for Everyone" grant competition drew almost 500 proposals from housing non-profits for projects that help to stabilize the housing environment in communities where TD Bank does business. Grant awards ranged from $10,000 to $100,000.
The winning organizations, as well as the total grants per market, include:
- Connecticut: $250,000 total donated to Bridgeport Neighborhood Trust, Inc.; Christian Activities Council; Connection Fund, Inc.; Greater New Haven Community Loan Fund, Inc.; Neighborhood Housing Services of New Britain; Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven, Inc.
- Delaware: $40,000 total donated to Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County; National Council on Agricultural Life and Labor Research, Inc.
- The District of Columbia: $50,000 total donated to Shelter House, Inc.; SOME, Inc.; Wesley Housing Development Corporation of Northern Virginia.
- Florida: $40,000 total donated to Adopt-A-Family of the Palm Beaches, Inc.; Urban League of Broward County.
- Maine: $60,000 total donated to Bread of Life Ministries, Inc.; Rumford Group Home, Inc.; Tedford Housing.
- Massachusetts: $250,000 total donated to Beverly Affordable Housing Coalition, Inc.; HAP, Inc.; Lawrence Community Works, Inc.; Lower Cape Cod Community Development; Twin Cities Community Development Corporation; Worcester East Side Community Development Corporation.
- New Hampshire: $60,000 total donated to Harbor Homes, Inc.; NeighborWorks Greater Manchester; Southwest Community Services, Inc.
- New Jersey: $500,000 total donated to Bergen County Community Action Partnership, Inc.; Center for Family Services, Inc.; Community Loan Fund of New Jersey, Inc.; Housing and Neighborhood Development Services, Inc.; Interfaith Neighbors, Inc.; Isles, Inc.; Jersey City Episcopal Community Development Corporation; La Casa de Don Pedro, Inc.; New Jersey Community Development Corporation, Inc.; Parkside Business and Community in Partnership, Inc.; Patterson Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- New York: $390,000 total donated to AAFE Community Development Fund, Inc.; Albany County Rural Housing Alliances, Inc.; Bridge Fund of New York, Inc.; Community Development Corporation of Long Island, Inc.; Cypress Hill Local Development Corporation, Inc.; Homeless and Travelers Aid Society; Housing Partnership Development Corporation; Housing Plus Solutions, Inc.; Metropolitan New York Coordinating Council on Jewish Poverty.
- Pennsylvania: $300,000 total donated to Asociacion Puertorriquenos En Marcha; Chester Community Improvement Project; Habitat for Humanity of the Lehigh Valley; New Kensington Community Development Corporation; Mt. Airy, USA; Philadelphia VIP, Inc.
- Vermont: $60,000 total donated to Champlain Housing Trust, Inc.; Regional Affordable Housing Corporation; Windham Housing Trust, Inc.
"Now more than ever there is a need to help families stay in their houses and protect our neighborhoods from the effects of foreclosure and abandonment," said Elizabeth K. Warn, President of the TD Charitable Foundation and Executive Vice President of Community Development for TD Bank. "We are pleased that we were able to increase the number of grants in the 'Housing for Everyone' competition this year and help thousands of people from Maine to Florida continue to have a place to call their home."
The 2009 "Housing for Everyone" competition focused on supporting housing stabilization efforts for fiscally-responsible affordable housing organizations. Organizations were required to have tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status and to develop or maintain affordable housing, or provide housing-related programs and services to very-low, low- and moderate-income individuals or families.
About the TD Charitable Foundation
The TD Charitable Foundation is the charitable giving arm of TD Bank N.A., which operates as TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank®, and is one of the 15 largest commercial banking organizations in the United States. The Foundation's mission is to serve the individuals, families and businesses in all the communities where TD Bank operates, having made over $53 million in charitable donations since its inception in 2002. The efforts of the Foundation are coordinated locally through TD Bank's community relations departments and are focused on the areas of affordable housing, education and financial literacy, and the environment. More information on the TD Charitable Foundation, including an online grant application, is available at www.TDBank.com.
SOURCE TD Charitable Foundation