TEDMED Announces Move to Washington, DC; the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts Will Host TEDMED 2012 Conference
--TEDMED's New Washington, DC Location and Proximity to Healthcare Policymakers to Accelerate Multi-disciplinary Collaboration, Innovation, Implementation and Patient Care Advances--
SAN DIEGO, Oct. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- TEDMED, www.tedmed.com, the world's leading multi-disciplinary conference on the future of health and medicine, today announced that the 2012 edition of the conference will take place in Washington, DC at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts from April 11-13, 2012.
From 2009 to 2011, San Diego hosted TEDMED, drawing strong attendance from regional biotech companies and technology developers. The move to the Nation's Capital and the Kennedy Center will place TEDMED in the center of healthcare policymaking, regulation, and research funding and will accelerate collaboration among government, science, industry, academia, technology, media and the arts.
The new location will encourage greater participation in TEDMED activities by key Federal organizations including Congress, the Food and Drug Administration, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Veteran's Affairs, the National Institutes of Health, and many others.
"Holding TEDMED's annual conference at the health and medicine capital of the world will amplify the voice of the TEDMED community, bringing TEDMED to a larger stage where the members of our community can provide a much-needed national service. Everyone agrees that the United States faces complex and difficult challenges in health and medicine that require the brightest minds and best talents from all sectors of society. TEDMED is multidisciplinary community on a mission to connect, understand and inspire in a way that will advance a healthier America," said TEDMED Curator Jay Walker.
Significant policy, funding and administration of healthcare industry activities are centered in the nation's capital including:
- Medicare and Medicaid are the largest buyers of medical services spending billions of dollars annually.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is the largest operator of hospitals in the country.
- The President directs the policymakers in the Executive Branch and the U.S. Congress that enact federal laws and tax code that shape every aspect of U.S. health and medicine.
- The FDA regulates the safety of all drugs and medical devices and serves as the leading regulatory standard for the industrial world.
- The EPA regulates the environment and sets standards for toxicity and exposure that directly impact everyone's health and wellness.
- The NIH, along with other federal agencies, is the largest single funders of medical and scientific research in the world, with budgets in the tens of billions of dollars annually.
- The U.S. Congress and U.S. Patent Office regulate the rules of intellectual property that drive research and investment decisions by U.S. and global corporations and universities.
- The U.S. military, headquartered at the Pentagon, is responsible for America's national security as it relates to health and medical issues specifically bioterrorism threats.
- DARPA, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, National Naval Medical Center and numerous other military and civilian federal agencies have an enormous impact on innovation funding and support for unusual approaches.
- The Washington, DC area is home to many organizations that are vitally important to health and medicine including: Children's National Medical Center & Children's Research Institute; The George Washington University Medical School & Advanced Med Trauma Center; Johns Hopkins University Center for Immunization Research (DC); Sabin Vaccine Institute; National Rehabilitation Hospital and The National Medical Museum.
TEDMED is the annual conference where cutting-edge science and technology leaders "connect, understand and inspire" to advance the art of health and medicine with new ideas, the latest science and innovative technology. A total of 52 speakers and 850 attendees are gathered at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, California from October 25 -28 for the 2011 edition of TEDMED's annual conference.
This year the TEDMED stage features presentations by Nobel Prize winners, the Surgeon General of the United States, Dr. Regina Benjamin and superstar athletes Lance Armstrong and Diana Nyad, among many other impressive leaders from medical and non-medical fields.
TEDMED 2011 Edition Speaker List
Peter Agre, Director, Malaria Research Institute; Bloomberg School Public Health; David Agus, Professor of Medicine, University of Southern California; Sekou Andrews, Artist, Playwright, Actor and Musician; Lance Armstrong, Chairman, Lance Armstrong Foundation; Nathan Ball, Artist; Ger Brophy, VP of Strategic Planning & Licensing, Medical Diagnostics, GE; Eythor Bender, CEO, Berkeley Bionics; Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General; Dan Buettner, Author; Aneesh Chopra, U.S. Chief Technology Officer; Steve Connell, Artist, Playwright, Actor and Musician; Joseph DeSimone, Chancellor's Eminent Professor of Chemistry, University of North Carolina; Andrew Dawson, Performance Artist & Feldenkrais practitioner; Peter Diamandis, Chairman, X PRIZE Foundation; Ashley Dombkowski, Chief Business Officer, 23andMe; Bill Doyle, Chairman, NovoCure; Elissa Epel, Associate Professor, Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco; Juan Enriquez, Managing Director, Excel Venture Management; Gabor Forgacs, Chief Science Officer Organovo, professor of biophysics. University of Missouri; Michael Graves, Architect; Robert Hariri, CEO, Celgene Cellular Therapeutics; Calvin Harley, Co-Founder, CSO and President of Telome Health; A.J. Jacobs, Author; Barton Kamen, Clinical Research Professor, Metronomx; Dean Kamen, President, Deka Research & Development; Mehmood Khan, CSO, PEPSICO, CEO Global Nutrition Group; David Kirchhoff, President, Weight Watchers; Daniel Kraft, Physician, Stanford Institute for Stem Cell Biology; Freda Lewis-Hall, CMO, Pfizer Medical; Charles Limb, Assoc. Professor, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine; Jonathan Mann, Singer, Comedian; Eric Mead, Magician, Author; Yoav Medan, VP/ Chief Systems Architect, InSightec; Catherine Mohr, Director of Medical Research, Intuitive Surgical; Farzad Mostashari, National Coordinator for Health IT, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Quyen Nguyen, Director, Facial Nerve Clinic, University of California San Diego; Sheila Nirenberg, Weill Medical College of Cornell University; Diana Nyad, Author, Ultra-Marathon Swimmer; Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO, O'Reilly Media; Todd Park, CTO, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services; Cheryl Pegus, CMO, Walgreen Co.; Charles Pell, Co-Founder Physcient; Michael Rosenblatt, CMO, Merck; Eric Schadt, Director, Institute of Genomics and Multiscale Biology; Jill Sobule, Singer & Songwriter; Rick Smolan, Co-Founder, Against All Odds; Paul Stamets, Founder, Fungi Perfecti Laboratories; Lee Stein, Prize Capital & Virtual Group; Chris Toumazou, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Imperial College of London; Alexander Tsiaras, Founder & CEO The Visual MD; Loudon Wainwright III, Singer-Songwriter, Actor; and John Wynn, Swedish Cancer Institute of Seattle.
The TEDMED conference and mission are generously supported by more than a dozen major U.S. sponsors including some of the world's best-known companies. TEDMED sponsors include important thought leaders in the realm of health and medicine: The California Endowment, GE, IOMEDIA, Jawbone, Johnson & Johnson, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Mars Inc., Nurture, Panasonic, PEPSICO, Qualcomm and Walgreens.
Abbott, Fulbright & Jawarski, LLP, Alexander Isley Inc., Philips Healthcare, Pfizer, Rogers & Cowan, Scanadu, Seagull Bags, SpotMe, Stairway 9, Sub Rosa, Urban Zen, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, VEEV, XVIVO and Yamaha.
TEDMED Talks and Updates
True to the TED tradition, tedmed.com makes videos of its stage presentations available at www.tedmed.com at no cost after the conclusion of the conference. Videos are also posted on TED.com, YouTube and CNN.com for free online viewing. TED talks, incorporating TEDMED talks, have been downloaded more than 500 million times around the world.
TEDMED issues monthly email bulletins. To subscribe, please send an email to: email@example.com.
TEDMED, LLC is an independent organization operated under a special license from the nonprofit TED conference. TEDMED is the only authorized, independent TED conference focusing on the fields of heath and medicine. For more information, please visit www.tedmed.com.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.