The Ball(R) Jar Celebrates 125th Anniversary With Museum Exhibition Opening and Commemorative Jars
Iconic glass jars are more relevant today than ever, helping consumers and foodies alike preserve their favorite fruits and vegetables, and save money
"It's amazing to take a step back and see the impact Ball has had on millions of Americans - everyday cooks, local growers and many others - throughout its 125-year history," said
The Ball 125th anniversary is being commemorated with a new exhibit, "Can it! 125 Years of the Ball Jar," which opens this month and will be on display until
This spring, Ball will also release a series of anniversary products for fresh preserving and storage:
- The 125th Anniversary Collector's Jar is a one-gallon decorative jar that commemorates the original Ball trademark jar of the early 20th century. The jar, designed for bulk storage and decoration, features an 1884-style lid with a push-down sealing feature. The jars will be available for the suggested retail price of
- The 125th Anniversary Special Edition Lid, found on all Ball canning jars, features a new brushed silver design with an anniversary graphic depiction. These special lids will be available only for a limited time in the 2009 fresh preserving season. Jars in varying sizes will be available in cases for the suggested retail price of
$8.99 to $11.99.
- A newly commissioned Ball Blue Book(R) Guide to Preserving will include new recipes that make it easy for beginner canners to get started, while also stretching the gourmet repertoire for experienced canners. Two thousand
nine marksthe 100th year of the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. The book will be available for the suggested retail price of $5.49.
In addition to the anniversary products, Ball will also update their lids on all fresh preserving jars which will feature a brushed silver finish for a sleek, new design.
"After a strong 2008, we expect this momentum to continue for our anniversary in 2009," said Scherzinger. "With the challenging economy, we have seen millions of consumers increase their gardening and fresh preserving activity and the full array of Ball products are the ideal solution to meet their needs."
Facts about the Ball Jar
- The Ball brothers' first fruit jars were manufactured in 1884 with a unique "BBGMCo" (Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Co.) monogram.
- Only four amber-colored "Buffalo" jars, made from 1884-1886 in
Buffalo, NY, are known to exist today.
- Over 3 million jar lids are produced per day at the Ball plant in
- Approximately 585,000 jars can be produced in one day.
- The Ball Jar is older than the ballpoint pen, the zipper and the teddy bear.
Ball is part of
For home canning tips, recipes, products and consumer message boards, visit FreshPreserving.com. Recipes and how-to canning tips can also be retrieved by calling 1-800-240-3340.
Ball(R) and Ball(R), TMS Ball Corporation, used under license.
(C) 2009 Hearthmark LLC, d/b/a
Distributed by Hearthmark, LLC d/b/a
Hearthmark, LLC is a subsidiary of Jarden Corporation (NYSE: JAH).