The Overlooked Dangers of Stopping on Highway Shoulders
The Houston motorcycle accident lawyers of 1800 Car Wreck Houston discuss dangers that can be associated with stopping on highway shoulders.
HOUSTON, Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Although highway shoulders have multiple uses in relation to increasing road safety for drivers and others, there can be unforeseen dangers associated with pulling onto them, even in the event of an emergency. A number of Houston motor vehicle accidents have occurred due to a failure on some drivers to take precautions for the safety of those in or around disabled vehicles, or others who for any reason found it necessary to pull over on the side of the road.
The following are safety tips that drivers may consider for helping to decrease the risks of accident injury in the event that they find themselves needing to stop on a hard shoulder or encounter other drivers who have made stops in these areas:
- Never drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs – Drunk driving accounts for a significant number of accident fatalities involving individuals who were hit while on the shoulder of a road. Impaired driving may make it difficult to distinguish between cars that are in motion and cars that are not in addition to other things. Designating a sober driver or making other arrangements for transportation home is always a safer bet than attempting to drive under the influence.
- Consider alternatives to pulling onto a shoulder first – Parking lots or areas where there is more space between one's disabled vehicle and oncoming traffic is safer than being on a shoulder while trying to correct an issue or waiting for assistance.
- If one does have to stop on a shoulder…
- do not remain sitting in the vehicle if possible
- try to pull over in a section that is well lit
- keep your emergency lights on
The Houston motorcycle accident attorneys of 1800 Car Wreck Houston are available to assist injured accident victims with legal questions pertaining to related claims. Individuals who contact the Houston law firm of Eberstein & Witherite can request a free evaluation of their case.
Media Contact: Amy Witherite Eberstein & Witherite, LLP, 713-861-1101, aWitherite@EWLAWYERS.COM
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE Eberstein & Witherite, LLP
More by this Source
Need Holiday Shopping Help? 1800 CAR WRECK Has You Covered
Dec 06, 2013, 15:09 ET
Dallas Motorcycle Accident Lawyer says Older Riders at Risk report Eberstein & Witherite
Aug 13, 2013, 08:30 ET
Eberstein & Witherite Share Top Dallas Car Wreck Mistake: Not Calling the Police
Aug 12, 2013, 12:06 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.