The Top Five: Where Canadians Are Travelling at Home and Away
Find out which cities lost or gained popularity with the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index
TORONTO, Oct. 9, 2012 /CNW/ - Whether you're looking for a quick trip within your province, a cross-country horse and pony show or some sightseeing abroad, the latest Hotels.com® biannual Hotel Price Index™ (HPI™) has the most up-to-date travel news and can help you determine your next trip - if you're okay with following the crowd, of course.
"The HPI gives great insight into where Canadians are choosing to spend their vacation budgets," says Jennifer Drew, director market management, Hotels.com, LP. "Based on the latest 2012 results, it's a great guide for Canadians looking to travel based on the 'tried and true' method of following what's popular."
The HPI tracks real prices paid per room by Hotels.com customers at approximately 140,000 properties within the Hotels.com network in major destinations around the world. This most recent edition of the report compares the first six months of 2012 with the same period in 2011.
Domestic Travellers Go Where?
- Toronto - Torontonians have been accused of living in a bubble, but it's not hard to see why. This versatile city has it all and can appeal to visitors of all backgrounds and interests - except maybe those looking for peace and quiet! Average daily hotel prices for the first half of 2012 remained consistent with last year increasing one per cent to $141.
- Montreal - We love French culture, French people and French food, so Montreal is our obvious local fix when we want to soak it all in. This island also has "oh-so-charming" cobblestone roads which, while not heel-friendly, give it a special feel. Much like Europe, the prices are a little steeper and with an increase of two per cent, average daily hotel prices sat at $154.
- Vancouver - This city has a mild climate - which is extra appealing now that fall weather is upon us - arguably the best sushi in the country and a variety of neighbourhoods for shopping. It's also very popular with international visitors who picked it as the number two destination following Toronto. Speaking of mild, the increase in hotel prices was just that, up one per cent with an average daily hotel rate of $144.
- Edmonton - This 'festival city' is known for more than well...festivals, and its oversized mall. It's also got loads of history, including Canada's largest living museum, and this month the already exciting Telus World of Science has a Star Wars exhibition! We know you're sold. Plus, the average daily hotel prices are the most affordable of the top five at $134, even with an increase of seven per cent.
Ottawa - Our nation's capital bumped Niagara Falls out of the top five in 2012
proving that, to Canadians, you can be both politically-focused and
popular. Average daily hotel prices increased four per cent to $147.
...and the Top non-Canadian destinations are:
- New York City - Flashing lights, Broadway, cheesecake...need we say more? The Big Apple continues to be our number one go-to destination for travel outside of Canada, but average daily hotel prices aren't cheap and have increased six per cent from last year to $257.
- Las Vegas - You might not always win money here, but the experience alone pays for itself. Vegas is a longstanding favourite amongst Canadians and its affordable hotel rates definitely add to the appeal. Even with an eight per cent increase, the average daily hotel rate of $113 just means more time at the slots!
- Orlando - Is the home of Disney, Seaworld, Legoland and more. This city is family-friendly, warm and fun! Orlando kept its number three spot and even with a 17 per cent increase in their average daily hotel rate, remained affordable at $112.
- Chicago - This Midwestern city is the birthplace of U.S. President Barack Obama and was home of the renowned television show of a lady that can go by one name - Oprah. It also has deep dish pizza, loads of public art and the famous Chicago Theatre. Average daily hotel prices are also in the middle having increased 12 per cent to $182.
- Seattle - Much like domestic travel, the fifth spot for international travel was also home to a newcomer in 2012. This time, west-coast Seattle crept up to overtake another ocean-side city, San Francisco. Average daily hotel prices also increased eight per cent to $155.
Too many options can actually make booking a trip harder and although we'd like to narrow it down for you, they're all winners in their own right. All of these traveller favourites saw hotel prices increase, but there are still hotel deals to be had. Take advantage of seasonal travel sales, the Hotels.com Price Match Guarantee and sign up for Welcome Rewards™ to ensure you get the best prices and maybe, just maybe, you can see it all.
*Prices are in Canadian dollars and are based on actual prices paid on Hotels.com as reported in the HPI.
About the HPI™
The HPI is a biannual report that looks at hotel prices in cities all around the world. The data is based on bookings made through the Hotels.com website and the prices listed are the actual prices paid by Canadians - not advertised rates. The report compares prices paid in the first half of 2011 with those paid in the first half of 2012.
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through its global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with almost 155,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 6.5 million Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome Rewards™, customers can earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 85,000 hotels. Under its Price Match Guarantee, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travellers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hotelsdotcomca, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcomca and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. Hotels.com is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com, Hotel Price Index, HPI, Welcome Rewards, Finding You the Perfect Place and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2012 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-580
Image with caption: "Seattle's a newcomer to the top five international destinations, bumping down San Francisco in 2012 (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121009_C4886_PHOTO_EN_19001.jpg
More by this Source
Hotels.com Announces Milestone 25 Million Mobile App Downloads
Dec 03, 2013, 10:46 ET
T-Minus One Month: Get Your Travel Resolutions in before 2013 is Over!
Dec 02, 2013, 10:25 ET
Six festive Canadian destinations off the beaten path
Dec 16, 2013, 14:04 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.