Three More Spanish Solar Power Generating Plants Enabled by Dow Chemistry
SEVILLE, Spain, Nov. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Dow Polyglycols, Surfactants and Fluids, a business of The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW), announced today that three additional solar power plants in Spain are now being supplied with DOWTHERM(TM) A Heat Transfer Fluid, enabling the facilities to collect heat and convert it into electrical energy.
In total, chemistry from Dow is now helping six Spanish solar power plants generate 300 megawatts of renewable and sustainable electricity. Taking advantage of a sunny climate and a strong government commitment, Spain is pioneering Concentrated Solar Power (CSP). Dow is strongly committed to the industry by providing high-quality materials, logistic excellence and top of the class technical support for heat transfer fluids.
"Dow is very proud to be the partner of the leading Spanish companies that are developing, building and operating these thermal solar plants that have a clear positive impact on today's energy challenges," said Renaud Jourdan, global marketing manager for Dow Heat Transfer Fluids.
How Concentrated Solar Power Works
CSP uses parabolic mirrors to reflect and magnify heat from the sun onto a pipe that contains DOWTHERM(TM) A heat transfer fluids to collect the heat energy and transport it to a power generating station. The heat transferred from the collectors to the station where the heat turns water to steam. The steam is used to drive turbines that make electricity.
Solar power and technology like CSP serves to help diversify the energy supply, produce power at peak demand, reduce dependence on fossil fuels, improve air quality and offset greenhouse gas emissions.
Dow's commitment to solar innovation extends beyond heat transfer fluids:
- In October, Dow unveiled the DOW(TM) POWERHOUSE(TM) Solar Shingle, revolutionary photovoltaic solar panels in the form of solar shingles that can be integrated into rooftops with standard asphalt shingle materials. The solar shingle systems are expected to be available in limited quantities by mid-2010 and projected to be more widely available in 2011, putting the power of solar electricity generation directly and conveniently in the hands of homeowners.
- Dow Adhesives and Functional Polymers is a leading global supplier of adhesives for photovoltaics, with exceptional performance in new backsheet substrates, as well as game-changing innovations in materials such as liquid encapsulants.
- Dow Electronic Materials recently introduced its new line of ENLIGHT(TM) photovoltaic products, which increase solar cell efficiency and yield.
- Dow Specialty Packaging & Films offers innovative polyolefin-based films used in the protective encapsulant layer and the structural backsheet of photovoltaic modules. The use of these films can improve productivity when the module is produced, and help increase its service life and reliability.
- Dow Corning, a joint venture equally owned by The Dow Chemical Company and Corning, Incorporated, is also participating in the solar photovoltaic sector, applying its expertise in silicon-based materials to improve the cost efficiency, durability and performance of solar modules and photovoltaic devices. Dow Corning recently began construction on a facility that will manufacture monosilane gas, a key material used to manufacture thin-film solar cells and liquid crystal displays. Via its Hemlock Semiconductor joint venture, Dow Corning is also a leading provider of polycrystalline silicon and other silicon-based products used in the manufacturing of semiconductor devices, and solar cells and modules.
Dow is a diversified chemical company that combines the power of science and technology with the "Human Element" to constantly improve what is essential to human progress. The Company delivers a broad range of products and services to customers in approximately 160 countries, connecting chemistry and innovation with the principles of sustainability to help provide everything from fresh water, food and pharmaceuticals to paints, packaging and personal care products. In 2008, Dow had annual sales of $57.4 billion and employed approximately 46,000 people worldwide. The Company has 150 manufacturing sites in 35 countries and produces approximately 3,300 products. On April 1, 2009, Dow acquired Rohm and Haas Company, a global specialty materials company with sales of $10 billion in 2008, 98 manufacturing sites in 30 countries and approximately 15,000 employees worldwide. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
®(TM)( )Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow
SOURCE The Dow Chemical Company
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.