TI adds more memory, flexible package options and general purpose IO pins to its MSP430™ Value Line microcontrollers
No longer sacrifice performance for price: New MSP430G2xx4 and G2xx5 devices enable wireless and advanced capacitive touch capabilities with additional serial ports, timers and die-sized packages
DALLAS, March 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Further advancing its low-cost portfolio, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announces the expansion of the MSP430 Value Line microcontroller series with new G2xx4 and G2xx5 devices. These new devices offer a code-compatible upgrade path for TI's MSP430 Value Line series, expanding memory from 16kB up to 56kB Flash and up to 4kB SRAM, enabling customers to migrate existing solutions and support connectivity protocols such as wireless MBUS and near field communications (NFC). By combining the increased memory resources and integrated capacitive touch IOs on the MSP430G2xx5 devices, developers can implement more sophisticated capacitive touch capabilities like swipe, gesturing, double tap and proximity effects within their applications. Developers can also add reliable high bit-rate serial communications to designs by taking advantage of the G2xx4 and G2xx5 microcontrollers' high-frequency crystal input, another first for the MSP430 Value Line. For design flexibility within space-constrained applications, the new devices will be available in the MSP portfolio's smallest package, die-sized ball grid array (DSBGA). Additionally, MSP430G2xx4 and G2xx5 devices provide more GPIOs, timers and serial ports to ensure developers do not sacrifice performance for cost. For more information, please visit www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-lp.
MSP430 LaunchPad and software support for MSP430G2xx4 and G2xx5 microcontrollers
MSP430G2xx4 and G2xx5 microcontrollers are backed by free software resources, including the MSP430 capacitive touch sense library supporting buttons, sliders, wheels and proximity sensing, Grace™ software, MSP430Ware, ULP Advisor and Energia, a community-driven, open-source development platform, as well as TI's broad third party support network. Existing MSP430 LaunchPad users will also be able to take advantage of the expanded memory and IO capabilities of G2xx4 devices with a new MSP430 LaunchPad expansion board available in May.
Key features and benefits of MSP430G2xx4 and G2xx5 microcontrollers
- Increased memory of 32kB/56kB Flash (G2xx4/G2xx5) and up to 8x more SRAM (4kB) while providing up to 50 percent greater code density compared to standard 8-bit microcontrollers
- Various package options, including DIP, TSSOP, QFN and DSBGA, for design flexibility
- Support for high frequency, low parts per million (PPM) external crystal for achieving <0.1 percent clock source accuracy for reliable high bit-rate serial communications
- Standby power of 1uA and fast wake-up time of < 1us for ultra-low-power consumption
- Integrated intelligent peripherals, such as 10-bit analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), UART, comparator and serial communication, offload CPU tasks for increased power efficiency
- MSP430 LaunchPad support with expansion board for MSP430G2xx4 devices, enabling access to TI's growing MCU LaunchPad and BoosterPack ecosystem
- Supported by free, downloadable software debuggers and compilers, including Code Composer Studio ™ integrated development environment (IDE), IAR Embedded Workbench and open source MSPGCC GNU
Pricing and availability
MSP430G2xx4 and G2xx5 microcontrollers are priced from $0.96/$1.12 in 10K units, and samples can be ordered today. The MSP430 LaunchPad expansion board will be available in May for $15. The MSP-TS430DA38 target board and MSP-FET430U38 Flash emulation tool are both immediately available from TI's eStore for $75 and $149, respectively.
TI's broad portfolio of MCUs and software
From ultra-low-power and Value Line MSP430™ MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M MCUs to real-time control C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™ safety MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
Find out more about TI's MSP430 Value Line microcontrollers by visiting the links below:
- MSP430 Value Line microcontrollers: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-lp
- 16-bit performance for cost-sensitive applications video: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-v
- MSP430x2xx family user guide: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-td
- NFC using MSP430 app note: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-nfc-msp-pr-td
- MSP430 software: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-sw-lp
- MSP430 tools: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-tools-lp
- TI eStore: www.ti.com/mspvalue-g2xx-pr-es
- Make the Switch to TI MCUs: www.ti.com/maketheswitch
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430 is a registered trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
Texas Instruments to webcast its 4Q13 mid-quarter financial update
Dec 02, 2013, 11:30 ET
TI CEO Rich Templeton to deliver keynote at Credit Suisse investor conference
Nov 25, 2013, 10:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.