DALLAS, Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a power management controller with a 700-V start-up switch that achieves less than 10 mW of "no-load" standby power in 5- and 10-watt cube adapters used with smartphones and tablets. In addition to the lower power capability, the new UCC28710 primary-side, regulated flyback controller helps designers create smaller cube adapters and AC-powered equipment. For more information and samples, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28710-pr.
The innovative controller maintains an industry-best 78-percent average power efficiency at 5 watts, which allows adapters to meet the European Commission's 5-Star no-load power consumption rating of <30 mW. The UCC28710 also leverages TI's new .25um, 700-V analog process technology, called LBC7HV, to integrate the start-up switch -- saving an additional 8 mW to 10 mW of standby power.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28710:
- Lowest standby power: achieves <10-mW standby power consumption and provides high-voltage start-up capability.
- Highest integration with primary-side regulation: eliminates the need for an optocoupler and TL431 feedback circuit; supports widest input voltage range with VDD, resulting in smaller bias capacitors; supports smaller transformers because of its high-frequency operation; and reduces overall design size and complexity without the need for additional external circuits.
Speed time-to-market with adapter charging reference designs The family of UCC287xx controllers includes the UCC28700, UCC28701 and other products to help customers simplify and speed their adapter designs. A new UCC28710 controller-based 10-W AC Eco-charger for tablets and smartphones design adds to TI's growing PowerLab™ reference design library for AC adapters, universal USB charging cubes and car chargers.
Availability and pricing The UCC28710 flyback controller is available in a 7-pin, SOIC package and is priced at US$0.42 in quantities of 1,000. The 5-W UCC28711EVM evaluation module is available for ordering through TI's eStore. The module converts a 90-V to 265-V RMS input voltage down to 5 V DC, with a 1-A current limit for USB adapter applications.
Find out more about TI's adapter and charging portfolio:
- Check out TI's extensive line of battery charger circuits for USB charging.
- Review TI's power supply control portfolio for AC adapter power supplies.
- Sample new wireless power receiver and transmitter circuits, including the bq51050B and bq50410A.
- Select USB power switch products, including the TPS2511.
- Learn about TI's analog process technologies, and watch the LBC7HV video.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
About Texas Instruments Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Trademarks TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated