DALLAS, March 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Expanding its line of energy-efficient, no-load adapter power controllers, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the industry's first flyback controller that exceeds Energy Star 5 standby power requirements for 10- to 65-W AC/DC adapters used with notebooks, motor control, smart meters, micro-inverters and other high-powered applications. Used in conjunction with TI's award-winning WEBENCH® online design tool, the LM5023 flyback controller simplifies and speeds high-voltage DC/DC designs. For more information, visit: www.ti.com/lm5023-pr.
TI is demonstrating the LM5023 in its booth #109 at the Applied Power Electronics Conference and Expo (APEC) in Long Beach, Calif.
TI's new LM5023 isolated quasi-resonant pulse-width modulation (PWM) controller with integrated 700-mA driver offers high efficiency at up to 90 percent, low EMI and less than 10-mW of standby power. The LM5023 provides 1-percent accurate output voltage regulation, eliminating the need for cable compensation. When coupled with the highly accurate LMV431 shunt reference, it provides a competitively priced, 1-percent accurate flyback controller system.
Key features and benefits of the LM5023:
- One-percent voltage output regulation over line, load and temperature eliminates the need for cable compensation.
- Exceeds Energy Star 5 and European Commission 5-Star requirements for stand-by power (greater than 30 mW): Operates at low-power skip mode for ultra-low stand-by power, or less than 10 mW at 230 Vac. This minimizes energy-wasting vampire effect of AC/DC power supplies.
- Quasi-resonant operation improves efficiency while lowering EMI emission versus fixed frequency schemes.
- Integrated 700-mA gate driver drives large FETs for higher power outputs without additional components.
- Hiccup-mode overload protection reduces the stress on power components during overload conditions, increasing system reliability.
- Critical conduction mode results in higher efficiencies, reducing switching losses through lower EMI and the use of a less expensive rectifier diode.
High-efficiency adapter power
Adapter power products from TI, including the LM5023, UCC28710, UCC28710 and UCC24610 primary and secondary PWM controllers, provide reliable, efficient, low-cost power solutions for a wide range of AC/DC charger and adapter applications. Innovative, high-efficiency power management controllers reduce both energy consumption and solution size. Universal charge controllers help designers minimize environmental impact and reduce charging times with standards compliance. With or without wires, TI solutions provide best-in-class no load power performance and highest average system efficiency.
Availability and pricing
Samples can be requested today and production quantities of the LM5023 are expected to be available in the second quarter. Offered in an 8-pin MSOP package, the LM5023 is priced at US$0.38 in quantities of 1,000.
The LM5023EVM notebook adapter evaluation module is priced at US$49.99 in 1,000-unit quantities and is expected to be available through TI's eStore this quarter. TI also offers a 3.5-W multi-output adapter reference design, that generates an isolated 3.3-V output at 200 mA from an input of 100 V to 250 V.
TI analog for industrial
TI is the industrial semiconductor market share leader, providing a diverse portfolio of analog integrated circuits (ICs) for a broad range of applications, including Smart Grid, factory automation, high-voltage power, LED lighting and control. TI data converters, ampliﬁers, interface, isolation, clocking, and power management devices enable customers to differentiate their products, while TI software, design tools and reference designs simplify and accelerate design cycles. Learn how TI analog products improve industrial safety, efficiency and reliability at www.ti.com/industrial-pr
Find out more about TI's power management and adapter power portfolio:
- Check out TI's extensive line of adapter power solutions.
- See more of TI's isolated power solutions.
- Design a complete power management system online with TI's WEBENCH Power Designer.
- Speed time-to-market with TI's PowerLab™ reference design library, including TI's new UCC28710 controller-based 10-W AC Eco-charger for tablets and smartphones design.
- Check out "Jeff does APEC" live on the Power House blog to keep up with trends and topics from the showroom floor.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated