- 25.3% year-to-date growth
- Camry #1 in intermediate segment year-to-date
- TCI hybrids record
TORONTO, Sept. 4, 2012 /CNW/ - Toyota Canada Inc.'s strong summer sales continued in August, as all-new vehicles and refreshed designs drove all three brands to establish best-ever August records for a number of models and segments.
TCI reported sales of 17,556 Toyota, Lexus and Scion passenger cars, SUVs and trucks in August - up 25.3% from the same month in 2011. This included a new August record for trucks across all brands, up 42.4% to 8,164 (4th straight month of record sales) and strong sales of smaller vehicles such as the Toyota RAV4 and Scion models. Canadians continued to embrace TCI's proven hybrid vehicles in record numbers - making a significant contribution to the segments in which TCI offers a hybrid option.
Toyota sales highlights for August 2012 (vs. August 2011)
- Toyota sales: 15,567 (up 26.4%)
- Toyota passenger car sales: 8,174 (up 15.2%)
- Yaris Hatch sales: 645 (up 20.3%)
- Canadian-built Corolla sales: 3,721 (up 19.7%)
- Toyota truck sales: 7,393 (up 41.6%) :: New August record :: 4th straight month of record sales
- Canadian-built RAV4 sales: 2,754 (up 134.2%) :: New August record
- Tacoma 4x4 sales: 806 (up 32.8%) :: New August record
- Tundra 4x4 sales: 778 (up 51.7%)
- Highlander sales: 501 (up 70.4%)
- Toyota hybrid sales: 1,165 :: Hybrids represented 7.5% of Toyota sales for a new August record
- Prius family sales: 831 (up 1,159%) :: New August record
- Prius c sales: 188 :: 15.8% of Toyota's subcompact sales in August
- Camry Hybrid sales: 255 (up 240%)
- Highlander Hybrid sales: 79 (up 182.1%)
- Intermediate hybrid sales: 898 :: Hybrid models accounted for 42.7% of Toyota's August sales in the intermediate car segment
"Canadians know they can rely on Toyota for high-quality, dependable and fuel efficient vehicles that represent great value for their vehicle-buying dollar - which is why Camry is #1 in the intermediate segment year to date," said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. "Meanwhile, our hybrid sales including the Camry Hybrid and the Prius family continue to set a new benchmark for the industry as we help Canadians maximize their fuel efficiency, minimize emissions, and take advantage of the latest automotive technologies."
Lexus sales highlights for August 2012 (vs. August 2011)
- Lexus luxury sales: 1,431 (up 18.7%)
- Lexus hybrid sales: 235 :: Hybrid models accounted for 16.4% of Lexus sales in August
- Lexus luxury passenger car sales: 660 (down 5%)
- GS 350 sales: 81 (up 1057.1%) :: New August record
- GS 450h sales: 7 (up 133.3%)
- Lexus luxury SUV sales: 771 (up 50.9%)
- RX 450h sales: 69 (up 86.5%)
- Canadian-built RX 350 sales: 649 (up 49.2%)
- GX sales: 34 (up 13.3%)
"It's a GS summer at Lexus, with continued strong sales of the performance luxury sport sedan that introduced our new spindle grille - and our renewed passion for performance and design," noted Cyril Dimitris, Director, Lexus in Canada. "With the introduction of the RX 350 F SPORT edition, and the next generation ES and all new ES hybrid which went on sale this month, we look forward to welcoming more Canadians to the Lexus experience this fall."
Scion sales highlights for August 2012 (vs. August 2011)
- Scion sales: 558 (up 14.8%) :: New August record
- FR-S sales: 202
"We're pleased that we have sold almost one thousand Scion FR-S sport coupes since this model went on sale at the start of the summer," said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director. "As young Canadians head back to campus, Scion looks forward to engaging with urban trendsetters from coast to coast."
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every vehicle starting in 2011. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI's head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.
SOURCE Toyota Canada Inc.