UBM Canon and MD+DI Proudly Announce 25 Innovative Products as Winners of the 2012 Medical Design Excellence Awards Winners announced in ceremony at MD&M East Event
PHILADELPHIA, May 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The winning products in this year's Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA) competition, presented by UBM Canon, were announced at a presentation ceremony held May 23 inside the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown hotel. The ceremony was held in conjunction with the MD&M East Event (www.MDMEast.com) at the adjacent Pennsylvania Convention Center. At the ceremony:
- The 2012 MDEA-finalists, and their suppliers, were honored for their innovative contributions to the MedTech industry
- One Gold-winning product was awarded "Best-in-Show" - The Planmed Verity extremity scanner, manufactured and submitted by Planmed Oy (Helsinki, Finland)
- The NCIIA announced the winners of the 2012 BMEidea biomedical engineering competition for university students
In addition, Dean Kamen (inventor, entrepreneur, and tireless advocate for science and technology) presented the prestigious 2012 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award to famed inventor Dr. Thomas Fogarty for his vast accomplishments over the last half century. This award honors an individual whose contributions during a long career have had a demonstrable impact on technological, business, and cultural advancements in medical devices.
Presented by UBM Canon, and sponsored by Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry, the MDEA program is the MedTech industry's premier competition for medical device design and innovation. It recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers, and the many people behind the scenes -- engineers, scientists, designers, and clinicians -- who are responsible for the groundbreaking innovations that are changing the face of healthcare. MDEA-winning entries excel in the areas of product innovation, design and engineering achievement, end-user benefit, and cost-effectiveness in manufacturing and healthcare delivery.
A comprehensive review of the entries was performed by an impartial, multidisciplinary panel of third-party jurors with expertise in biomedical engineering, clinical practice, diagnostics, human factors, industrial design, manufacturing, and medicine. The 2012 MDEA Jury selected 25 winning products out of 41 finalists in 10 medical product categories.
2012 MDEA Winning Products, Manufacturers, and Suppliers:
Check out the 2012 MDEA Winners Circle slideshow on MPMN and MD+DI.
For a complete listing of all honored products, including finalists, please click here:
CRITICAL-CARE AND EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRODUCTS
- GOLD WINNER - King Vision video laryngoscope, manufactured and submitted by King Systems (Noblesville, IN).
- SILVER WINNER - CARDIOHELP System for circulatory and pulmonary support, manufactured by MAQUET Medical Systems USA (Wayne, NJ). Entry submitted by WCG (New York, NY).
- BRONZE WINNER - The Freedom portable driver, manufactured and submitted by SynCardia Systems Inc. (Tucson, AZ). Supply and design credit to Bimba Manufacturing (University Park, IL), Origin Product Development (Maynard, MA), Lynium LLC. (Tucson, AZ), Yarbrough Electronic Sales (Tucson, AZ), Applimotion Inc. (Loomis, CA), and CGI Inc. (Carson City, NV).
DENTAL INSTRUMENTS, EQUIPMENT, AND SUPPLIES
- GOLD WINNER - Identafi Oral Cancer Screening Device, manufactured by DentalEZ Inc. (Malvern, PA). Entry submitted by and supply and design credit to M3 Design (Round Rock, TX).
- SILVER WINNER - 3-D Click Guide kit for dental implants, manufactured and submitted by Idondivi Inc. LLC (San Francisco, CA).
- BRONZE WINNER - Waterlase iPlus All Tissue Laser, manufactured and submitted by Biolase Technology Inc. (Irvine, CA). Supply and design credit to Morphix Design Inc. (San Clemente, CA), Patton Design Inc. (Irvine, CA), Northrop Grumman Corp. (Charlotte, NC), and Shmaze Industries Inc. (Lake Forest, CA).
- BRONZE WINNER - Scotchbond Universal Adhesive dropper vial, manufactured and submitted by 3M Deutschland GmbH, 3M ESPE Division (Seefeld, Germany). Supply and design credit to Eckstein Design (München, Germany).
GENERAL HOSPITAL DEVICES AND THERAPEUTIC PRODUCTS
- GOLD WINNER - Safepole I.V. pole, manufactured by SafePole LLC (Los Angeles, CA). Entry submitted by and supply and design credit to TEAMS Design (Chicago, IL).
- SILVER WINNER - Edelvaiss Multiline paradigm-shifting manifold and I.V. line, manufactured and submitted by Doran International (Toussieu, France). Supply and design credit to Emerson Industrial Automation Branson Divison SAS (Rungis, France).
- BRONZE WINNER - TOBI Podhaler dry powder inhaler device with PulmoSphere technology, manufactured and submitted by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. (San Carlos, CA). TOBI Podhaler is not approved in the USA. Design credit to Cambridge Consultants Ltd. (Cambridge, United Kingdom), and supply credit to Gerresheimer Medical Plastic Systems (Regensburg, Germany).
IMPLANT AND TISSUE-REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
- GOLD WINNER - GORE Hybrid Vascular Graft, manufactured and submitted by W. L. Gore & Associates Inc. (Flagstaff, AZ).
- SILVER WINNER - ConforMIS iTotal CR Knee Replacement System, manufactured by ConforMIS Inc. (Burlington, MA). Entry submitted by Racepoint Group (Waltham, MA).
IN VITRO DIAGNOSTICS
- SILVER WINNER - SnapPath 1000 biomarker testing system, manufactured by BioMarker Strategies (Baltimore, MD). Entry submitted by and design credit to HS Design Inc. (Gladstone, NJ). Additional supply and design credit to Sparton Medical Systems (Strongsville, OH), and Mack Molding (Arlington, VT).
- BRONZE WINNER - Simplexa Direct and Simplexa Universal Direct assay kits, manufactured and submitted by Focus Diagnostics (Cypress, CA).
OVER-THE-COUNTER AND SELF-CARE PRODUCTS
- SILVER WINNER - Vibrance Kegel Device, manufactured and submitted by Bioinfinity (M) Sdn Bhd (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).
- BRONZE WINNER - New prefilled insulin injection pen, manufactured by Novo Nordisk A/S (Hillerod, Denmark). Entry submitted by ESP Bioscience (Berkshire, United Kingdom).
RADIOLOGICAL AND ELECTROMECHANICAL DEVICES
- GOLD WINNER - Planmed Verity extremity scanner, manufactured and submitted by Planmed Oy (Helsinki, Finland).
- SILVER WINNER - NOMAD Pro handheld x-ray system, manufactured by Aribex Inc. (Orem, UT). Entry submitted by IQMS (Paso Robles, CA). Supply and design credit to Voltage Multipliers Inc. (Visalia, CA), and Ecomass Technologies (Austin, TX).
- BRONZE WINNER - DermScope imaging accessory for the iPhone, manufactured by Canfield Scientific Inc. (Fairfield, NJ). Entry submitted by and supply and design credit to HS Design Inc. (Gladstone, NJ).
REHABILITATION AND ASSISTIVE-TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS
- GOLD WINNER - Niagara Foot field-adjustable prosthetic device, manufactured and submitted by Niagara Prosthetics and Orthotics International Ltd. (Fonthill, ON, Canada). Supply and design credit to DuPont Canada (Mississauga, ON, Canada), Human Mobility Research Centre, Queen's University (Kingston, ON, Canada), Centennial Plastics Mfg. Ltd. (Mississauga, ON, Canada), Hippo Design (Saint-Andre-Avellin, QC, Canada), Logique 3D/Instadesign (Montreal Laval, QC, Canada), Services PRECICAD Inc. (Quebec, Canada), and Universidad Don Bosco (Kempten, Germany).
- SILVER WINNER - BiOM Ankle prosthetic device, manufactured and submitted by iWalk Inc. (Bedford, MA). Supply and design credit to Cogmedix (West Boylston, MA), OnCore Manufacturing Services (Springfield, MA), and Maxon Motors (Fall River, MA).
- BRONZE WINNER - Breathe NIOV Ventilation System, manufactured and submitted by Breathe Technologies Inc. (Irvine, CA). Supply and design credit to AOK Tooling Ltd. (Kowloon, Hong Kong), ATL Technology (Springville, UT), AARCEE Consulting (Fremont, CA), Apogee Industrial Design (Millford, CT), and PN Engineering (Carlsbad, CA).
SURGICAL EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS, AND SUPPLIES
- GOLD WINNER - FMwand Ferromagnetic Surgical System, manufactured and submitted by Domain Surgical (Salt Lake City, UT). Supply and design credit to Eclipse Product Development (Salt Lake City, UT), and Biomerics LLC (Salt Lake City, UT).
- SILVER WINNER - EndoSerter Corneal Endothelial Delivery Instrument, manufactured by Ocular Systems Inc. (Winston-Salem, NC). Entry submitted by and supply and design credit to Cathtek LLC (Winston Salem, NC).
- BRONZE WINNER - Alair Catheter for Bronchial Thermoplasty procedures, manufactured by Asthmatx (Sunnyvale, CA). Entry submitted by and design credit to Bridge Design (San Francisco, CA).
The 2012 Medical Design Excellence Awards were sponsored by Platinum Sponsor: Phillips-Medisize and Silver Sponsor: Teleflex Medical OEM. We thank these major industry suppliers for their contributions which have helped to make this year's program possible. To learn more about sponsorship opportunities, contact: email@example.com.
For more information about the Medical Design Excellence Awards -- including additional details about the manufacturers and suppliers that created the 2012 MDEA-winning products -- visit the MDEA website at www.MDEAwards.com or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UBM Canon, the leading B2B media company dedicated exclusively to the global $3.0 trillion advanced manufacturing sector, helps support the flow of information, commerce and innovation in such sophisticated segments as medical devices and pharmaceutical development. UBM Canon also addresses cutting-edge developments in broader areas of advanced engineering design and manufacturing, and manufacturing processes and packaging. UBM Canon is part of UBM plc (UBM.L) a global provider of media and information services for professional B2B communities and markets.
SOURCE UBM Canon