Company Substantially Grows Channel, Boosts Cloud Business by 300 Percent YOY and Earns Industry Praise for Product Excellence
BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 6, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Unitrends, a leader in enterprise-level cloud recovery, today announced strong financial performance and key business achievements for the first half of its fiscal year 2016*, building upon the company's 26 consecutive quarters of growth. Among its series of noteworthy corporate and product milestones in 1H16, the company's virtual, physical and cloud-based backup and disaster recovery offerings also earned recognition from prestigious industry analyst firms and awards programs. Unitrends moved to a 100 percent channel-driven sales model, grew its cloud business by 300 percent from the same time last year and added several notable enterprise-class customers.
"We are excited to be implementing the Unitrends backup appliance solutions in our enterprise data environment," said Murry Drury, senior network support analyst for Heartland Payment Systems. "The simplicity of using the GUI interface to configure the appliance, deploy agents and schedule jobs, the AES-256 encryption, which will help us maintain PCI-DSS compliance, as well as a lower TCO over our installed solution, were all appealing factors in our decision to purchase the Unitrends solution."
Unitrends' continued growth and latest industry accolades are but one result of the company's unwavering commitment to innovation. In May, Unitrends introduced Unitrends Free™, a no-cost, yet powerful virtual backup and continuity solution for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Windows Hyper-V that supports unlimited retention, unlimited sockets and an unlimited number of virtual machines. Unitrends Free has been in high demand since its launch, adopted by thousands of IT professionals seeking cost-effective protection for environments with modest virtualized storage. In July, the company became a Google Premier Partner and unveiled Unitrends Free™ for Google Cloud Platform, architected in close collaboration with Google to provide customers with seamless support for Google Cloud Storage and Google Cloud Storage Nearline for off-site disaster recovery and archiving.
Unitrends also bolstered its cloud offerings with the launch of Forever Cloud™, a hybrid cloud option for Unitrends Recovery-Series and Unitrends Enterprise Backup™ (UEB) customers that delivers infinite data retention in the cloud for a disruptive price of only $0.10 per gigabyte per month. This new offering, along with cutting-edge solutions like Unitrends Boomerang™, an easy-to-use and cost-effective virtual appliance for migrating, cloudbursting and providing Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) for VMware virtual machines (VMs) to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, contributed to the substantial growth of Unitrends' cloud business.
The industry pacesetter also rolled out Unitrends Release 8.1, the latest version of robust data protection software for its physical and virtual backup and disaster recovery appliances as well as Unitrends Cloud™. Release 8.1 provides customers with up to 50 times faster backups for Hyper-V environments, a new Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) deployment option and advanced support for VMware vSphere 6.
Additional business highlights for the first half of the year include:
Expanded Leadership Team
- Under the direction of new CEO and President Kevin Weiss, Unitrends augmented its leadership and expertise worldwide with key, newly created executive positions. Mike Dalton was tapped senior vice president of worldwide channels and international field operations; David Henshall was appointed VP of worldwide sales and marketing operations; Roy Sanford was named VP and general manager of high velocity products; Jen Shelgren was named VP of demand creation; and, Jodi Sweeney assumed the role of VP of worldwide professional services and customer support.
- Unitrends advanced its position this year in Gartner Inc.'s "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances." The company was also selected as a "Vendor to Watch" by Enterprise Management Associates.
- In an unprecedented sweep, Unitrends' Recovery-943S, all-in-one purpose-built backup appliance (PBBA) was named "Best-in-Class" in DCIG's 2015-16 Hybrid Cloud Backup Appliance Guide, the highest ranking of the 58 products evaluated. The company's Recovery-936S appliance was also recognized for technology excellence, receiving the elite "Recommended" ranking for its ability to protect complex enterprise IT environments. Six additional Unitrends Recovery-Series models topped the charts with "Excellent" ratings for their robust features and support for the various backup requirements of large to midsized enterprises.
- Industry analyst firm Info Tech Research Group ranked Unitrends Certified Recovery Suite™ (UCRS) as "Champion" in the Mid-Market Backup Software and All-in-One Backup Solution use-case scenarios assessed in the organization's "Select and Implement a Backup Solution" Vendor Landscape. UCRS was also recognized as a "Leader" in the Backup-as-a-Service Backup Software, Enterprise Backup Software and Highly Virtualized Backup Environment use cases, and took home the "Best Overall Value" award in four out of the five categories.
- Unitrends' backup and disaster recovery products as well as stellar customer and partner support also received kudos from multiple award programs in the past six months, including: VirtualizationAdmin Readers' Choice Awards, Storage Magazine/SearchStorage.com's 2014 Products of the Year awards, 2015 Stevie® Awards for Sales & Customer Service, and The Channel Company's CRN 2015 Partner Program Guide.
"We're delivering a powerful combination of technology innovation and excellence, fanatical customer support and world-class solutions that easily adapt to each customer's IT environment. Very simply, we are helping IT professionals and their organizations around the world recover more – everything from their data and time to business agility and IT resources," said Kevin Weiss, President and CEO of Unitrends. "The first half of the year has uniquely positioned us to capture an even greater share of the global backup and disaster recovery market by fiscal year end."
*Unitrends moved from calendar year reporting to a fiscal year, beginning February 1 and ending January 31.
Unitrends delivers award-winning business recovery solutions for any IT environment. The company's portfolio of virtual, physical and cloud solutions provides adaptive protection for organizations globally. To address the complexities facing today's modern data center, Unitrends delivers end-to-end protection and instant recovery of all virtual and physical assets as well as automated disaster recovery testing built for virtualization. With the industry's lowest total cost of ownership, Unitrends' offerings are backed by a customer support team that consistently achieves a 98 percent satisfaction rating. Unitrends' solutions are also sold through a community of thousands of leading technology partners, service providers and resellers worldwide. Visit www.unitrends.com.
Director of Marketing Communications