USW Statement on U.S. House Vote to Repeal Affordable Care Act
WASHINGTON, July 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Leo W. Gerard, president of the United Steelworkers (USW) issued the following statement on today's vote by the Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
"The USW continues to vigorously oppose Republican-led efforts against the Affordable Care Act. It is the 33rd time in the past two years the Republicans have sought to repeal a system supported by President Obama that already benefits millions of Americans. It is reprehensible Speaker Boehner would demand a repeal of ACA, once again without any credible proposal for a replacement plan.
"According to government reports, healthcare costs have dropped in the past two years since ACA was passed, while the annual average increase of insurance premiums is slowing to provide a savings to families.
"The ACA will provide health care coverage to about 33 million previously uninsured Americans through access to subsidized, private insurance and expanded Medicaid eligibility. In many ways, the ACA is already expanding, protecting and strengthening coverage of working families.
- 6.6 million young adults received coverage through their parents' plans because dependent coverage was extended through age 26.
- 105 million people have coverage without lifetime limits.
- 86 million additional Americans gained coverage for preventive services without cost-sharing.
- 17 million children no longer face coverage denials due to a pre-existing condition
- $1.1 billion in premium rebates will benefit 12.8 million consumers under the Medical Loss Ratio rules. The average rebate will be $151 per household.
"Now that the Supreme Court has issued a decision the American people would be better served if Congress joined President Obama in working to build on the progress of our health care system."
Contact: Gary Hubbard , 202-256-8125, email@example.com
SOURCE United Steelworkers (USW)
More by this Source
USW Members Ratify Contracts at ExxonMobil Baytown Complex
May 15, 2013, 21:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.