Walmart Canada's Corporate Social Responsibility Report now available online
CSR is integrated into business practices at world's largest retailer
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Aug. 9, 2012 /CNW/ - Walmart Canada today announced that its annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report is now online. The report, which aligns with the company's fiscal year running February 1, 2011, to January 31, 2012, takes an in-depth look at the environmental, social and economic impact of Walmart Canada Corp. and the actions the retailer has taken to meet its CSR commitments.
The report, exclusively available online at walmartcsr.ca, is divided into four areas - Environment, People, Ethical Sourcing and Community. Walmart Canada aims to provide a high level of transparency and relevant information for stakeholders, customers, associates, suppliers, fellow retailers and the communities where the retailer operates. For each of the report's four areas, Walmart provides the performance metrics the company uses to track and evaluate its progress.
"We are pleased with the progress we have made this year integrating corporate social responsibility into our business practices. While there is still a lot of work ahead, we are proud of the results we continue to see," said Andrew Pelletier, vice president of corporate affairs and sustainability with Walmart Canada.
Highlights from Walmart Canada's 2011 CSR Report include:
- Walmart Canada is exporting key sustainability successes from its perishable distribution centre in Balzac, Alberta to other areas of Walmart's global operations.
- More than 150 million kilograms of waste was diverted from landfill resulting in a 77 per cent waste diversion rate for the total company.
In 2012, Walmart Canada intends to focus on working with suppliers to
improve the sustainability of the products sold in stores.
- Walmart Canada is participating in a far-reaching global commitment with Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. to increase economic opportunities for women, not only within Walmart's global operations but across its global supply chain.
- 54.8 per cent of the management team at Walmart Canada are women and 31.1 per cent of senior management are women, including the President and CEO, Chief Marketing Officer, Chief Information Officer, and President of Walmart Canada Bank.
- More than $55 million was invested in the associate profit sharing program in 2011.
- More than $106 million was paid out in associate bonuses in 2011.
More than 5000 associates were promoted in 2011.
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Global Ethical Sourcing division is helping to improve working conditions at supplier factories around the world.
- In Q4 2011, Covalence Ethical Reputation Index ranked Walmart fifth out of 37 retailers.
- The report includes key performance metrics on the audit process and on the number of audits Walmart conducts on the suppliers from which Walmart Canada sources product.
- Walmart Canada donated and raised more than $25 million to Canadian charities to help families in need, surpassing $160 million since 1994.
- In total, 6483 new jobs were created in 2011.
- Walmart contributed $15.4 billion to the Canadian economy by doing business with more than 5000 Canadian suppliers and service providers.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates over 330 retail outlets nationwide and serves more than one million customers daily. Walmart continues to be a leader in corporate philanthropy, sustainability and employment opportunity.
Additional company information can be found at www.walmartcanada.ca, http://www.facebook.com/walmartcanada and at www.twitter.com/@walmartcanada. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.ca.
SOURCE Walmart Canada
More by this Source
Walmart Grand Opens First Supercentre in New Brunswick
Aug 23, 2013, 07:00 ET
New poll shows close to 40% of Canadians haven't started back-to-school shopping
Aug 22, 2013, 06:00 ET
Walmart Unveils First Supercentre in the Maritimes
Jul 26, 2013, 14:49 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.