The American Association of Orthodontists found that nearly 90 percent of its patients request tooth whitening.
Dr. John Luther, Chief Dental Officer with Western Dental, offers helpful teeth whitening information and tips below:
- Why do teeth change colors? Coffee, tea and red wine are three primary staining culprits. So are tobacco (tar and nicotine), aging, and certain medications (some antihistamines, antipsychotics and high blood pressure).
- How does teeth whitening work? Whitening products contain either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, two tooth bleaches. They break stains into smaller pieces, making the color less concentrated and the teeth brighter and whiter.
- Does whitening work on all teeth? No. Bleach works well on yellow teeth, but not as much on brown teeth. And gray tones may not bleach at all. Whitening doesn't work on caps, veneers, crowns and fillings.
- Three ways to put a shine back in your smile:
- Whitening Toothpastes: Western Dental recommends Opalesence as a safe toothpaste that has polishing agents to provide additional stain removal effectiveness.
- In-Office Bleaching: Chairside appointments usually require only one office visit at Western Dental. A dentist will apply either a protective gel to the gums or a rubber shield to protect the gums. Bleach is then applied to the teeth. A special light or laser might be used to enhance the action of the whitening agent.
- At-Home Whitening Kits: Western Dental suggests using kits that include 10 upper and lower whitening trays with a 10-percent hydrogen peroxide gel solution that are applied to each arch for an hour a day, whitening teeth up to six shades lighter. Over-the-counter whitening strips are available, but the results are not as dramatic.
For more dental health tips, visit www.westerndental.com.
ABOUT WESTERN DENTAL
Western Dental (with its affiliate Brident Dental & Orthodontics) is one of the nation's largest dental providers and is the leader in accessible, affordable, high-quality oral health care, with over 2 million patient visits annually in more than 200 affiliated offices throughout California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas. Western Dental is the #1 provider of orthodontics services in California and Arizona, and last year expanded its network of orthodontists, oral surgeons, pedodontists, periodontists and endodontists to better service patient needs all within their local office. All of Western Dental's services are backed by a unique quality assurance system that electronically monitors all patient visits, treatments, dental staff and clinical performance to enable high-quality care. For more information, please visit www.westerndental.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/western-dental-provides-tips-on-teeth-whitening-to-ensure-this-will-be-a-white-christmas-300381438.html
SOURCE Western Dental