Weyerhaeuser Shares Progress Toward 2020 Sustainability Goals
FEDERAL WAY, Wash., July 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY) today announced the publication of its tenth annual sustainability report. The online report details the company's performance in 2012 and demonstrates its progress against more than 40 specific targets it will accomplish by 2020. The company's commitments, goals and targets are organized under three sustainability pillars — performance, people and planet.
A few highlights of Weyerhaeuser's 2012 sustainability achievements include:
- A 19 percent reduction in water use since 2007 in the company's Cellulose Fibers business.
- A 28 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions since 2000, demonstrating solid progress toward the company's 2020 goal of a 40 percent reduction.
- A 9 percent reduction in solid waste sent to landfills since 2010, which nearly meets the company's 2020 goal of a 10 percent reduction.
- An average Home Energy Rating System score of 70 for the company's homebuilding businesses, indicating its homes are generally 30 percent more energy efficient than the HERS reference home.
- More than 50 percent total shareholder return for the year.
- A new Eco+ Innovation program, which tracks revenue and investments that show significant improvement in Weyerhaeuser's environmental performance or that enable substitution of renewable energy and materials for nonrenewables.
- Continued safety excellence, with a recordable incident rate of less than one.
- A new Leadership Development Framework designed to strengthen the company's leadership pipeline and bench.
- A $4 million investment of cash donations, in-kind giving and employee time spent in support of Weyerhaeuser's operating communities.
- The launch of a successful Employee Volunteer of the Quarter program that celebrates Weyerhaeuser employees who make a significant impact in their communities through volunteerism.
Weyerhaeuser was also the recipient of more than 20 third-party awards and recognitions in 2012 and early 2013. For the second year in a row, the company was included on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, and it was also named one of Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 100 Best Corporate Citizens and one of the World's Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute.
Weyerhaeuser, one of the world's largest private owners of timberlands, began operations in 1900. We own or control nearly 7 million acres of timberlands, primarily in the U.S., and manage another 14 million acres under long-term licenses in Canada. We manage these timberlands on a sustainable basis in compliance with internationally recognized forestry standards. We are also one of the largest manufacturers of wood and cellulose fibers products, and we develop real estate, primarily as a builder of single-family homes. Our company is a real estate investment trust. In 2012, we generated $7.1 billion in sales and employed approximately 13,200 people who serve customers worldwide. Our common stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol WY. Learn more at www.weyerhaeuser.com.
SOURCE Weyerhaeuser Company
More by this Source
Weyerhaeuser to hold Investor Meeting on Dec. 17
Nov 11, 2013, 19:34 ET
Weyerhaeuser Joins International Voices in Support of Forest Certification
Nov 05, 2013, 18:56 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.