Wingstop Sales Up 10.5 Percent in First Quarter High-flying chicken wing chain signs agreements to open 50+ new locations
RICHARDSON, Texas, April 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Wingstop announced today that same store sales for the first quarter are up 10.5 percent over the same quarter last year. The 500+ unit chain has now experienced positive comp sales for more than eight consecutive years.
In addition to double digit comp sales increases, Wingstop signed franchise agreements that will result in 58 new locations in the U.S., a new first quarter record for the company. The development agreements will result in multiple locations in Detroit, Philadelphia, Bethlehem and Allentown, Pa. Lexington, S.C., Metairie, La., Savannah, Ga., Columbia, S.C., Phoenix and Hawaii.
"We are coming off one of our most successful quarters in the company's history," said Jim Flynn, Wingstop president and CEO. "A sales increase into the double digits is a huge milestone for our brand. We credit new partnerships with experienced franchisees, newly implemented social media programs, and an increased focus on local store marketing efforts within our communities."
The company was also recently listed as a Top 10 Facebook growth brand on the Restaurant Social Media Index.
To date, Wingstop has opened eight new restaurants this year, and plans to open 17 to 20 locations in the second quarter. The company acknowledges its numerous marketing, operations and social media programs and product launches for the recent sales surge, including:
- Introduction of the Wingstop phone app, now available on the iPhone and Android. Since the launch of the app online sales have risen to 5 percent of overall sales.
- Partnerships with professional and college athletic programs and professional athletes.
- Formation of co-ops in core markets, and increased local store marketing programs in developing markets.
- Introduction of a new mystery shop program, which features a heightened focus on store operations, training and quality service control.
- Launch of Louisiana Rub, which, thanks to its popularity among guests, is now a permanent addition to the Wingstop menu.
- Increased social media presence, including the company's first Twitter campaign, which tripled the number of @Wingstop followers.
Headquartered in Richardson, Texas, Wingstop has more than 500 restaurants open across the United States and Mexico. The Wingstop menu features 10 wing flavors including Original Hot, Cajun, Atomic, Mild, Teriyaki, Lemon Pepper, Hawaiian, Garlic Parmesan, Hickory Smoked BBQ and the newest offering, Louisiana Rub. Wings are made fresh, cooked-to-order and customers can also choose from homemade side dishes including Wingstop's award winning fresh-cut seasoned fries. Wingstop has experienced eight consecutive years of positive sales increases, was named a Top 10 Best Franchise Deal by QSR magazine, was crowned Wing King at the National Buffalo Wing Festival and has been voted 'best wings' in markets across the country. Troy Aikman, three-time Super Bowl champion and Hall of Fame quarterback, has served as the chain's national spokesman since 2003 and recently joined the Wingstop Board of Directors. Wingstop was acquired in 2010 by Atlanta-based private equity firm Roark Capital Group. For more information visit wingstop.com, wingstopfranchise.com or facebook.com/Wingstop.