With 'Saving Money' Still A Hot Trend, KIWI(R) Can Help Keep A Perfect Shine On Holiday Shoes As holiday events abound, world's premier shoe care brand offers consumers important tips to protect and care for their best shoes
EXTON, Pa., Dec. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- The holiday season has arrived and with it, the traditional festivities and soirees that mark the waning days of each year. Whereas in the past, many would purchase new dress shoes for the holiday party season, this year -- as the economy struggles to regain its footing -- consumers look to extend the life of many items in their closets, including shoes. In fact, according to recent studies -- reported in sources from The Houston Chronicle to the Christian Science Monitor to Angie's List -- 8% of consumer spending is now focused on repairing items rather than purchasing new items. Further, Americans spend more than $14 billion on clothing and shoe repair during a recession, a figure seemingly supported by a recent survey by HSBC Bank USA, which found that two of three consumers have reduced indulgent spending during this recession, notably on new wardrobe items, such as shoes.
KIWI® Shoe Care, part of Sara Lee Corp., (NYSE: SLE), recognizes both the financial necessity and trendy nature of helping consumers extend the life of their shoes this holiday season. "KIWI's global leadership position in shoe care has been built on a 100 year history of providing products that enhance shoe appearance and provide protection and nourishment to keep your shoes in the very best condition," said Martin Lind, President of Household & Beverage for Sara Lee Corporation. "This has always resonated in developing countries and in times of economic hardship when people have to rely on their shoes lasting and looking their best."
To encourage consumers to put their best foot forward, KIWI offers these proactive tips to ensure that those favorite party shoes never miss a turn on the dance floor this holiday season:
- Dirt and other debris can easily embed into leather shoes. Be sure to clean your shoes to remove excess dirt and debris prior to polishing.
- For best results, first apply shoe polish or cream evenly to leather shoes with a brush or soft cloth. Once the polish has properly dried, buff to a brilliant shine using a natural bristle brush.
- Store leather shoes using a shoe tree to help retain the shape of the leather. If a shoe tree will not work (such as for strappy shoes), stuff the toe cap with newspaper or tissue. Never store or dry leather shoes near direct heat.
- If your dress shoes are suede and should get wet, stuff them with newspaper while they dry to help keep their shape and always allow them to dry naturally, away from direct heat.
- If traveling this holiday season, place your shoes inside a shoe bag or wrap them in a soft material for additional protection.
For additional tips on protecting and caring for your best shoes or for information on the KIWI line of shoe care products, visit Kiwicare.com.
Since 1906, KIWI has viewed shoes as a key part of personal grooming and its products as an important part of projecting a certain image to the world. This belief remains true today as KIWI is now sold and marketed in almost 200 countries worldwide. As an integral brand within Sara Lee Corporation's Household & Beverage Division since 1984, KIWI remains the world's number one shoe care brand offering Show Polish, Cleaners, Insoles and Shoe Laces. For more information on KIWI, visit www.kiwicare.com.
About Sara Lee Corporation
Each and every day, Sara Lee (NYSE: SLE) delights millions of consumers and customers around the world. The company has one of the world's best-loved and leading portfolios with its innovative and trusted food, beverage, household and body care brands, including Ambi Pur, Ball Park, Douwe Egberts, Hillshire Farm, Jimmy Dean, Kiwi, Sanex, Sara Lee, Senseo and Bimbo. Collectively, these brands generate approximately $13 billion in annual net sales covering nearly 200 countries. The Sara Lee community consists of 41,000 employees worldwide. Please visit www.saralee.com for the latest news and in-depth information about Sara Lee and its brands.