Yowza!! Joins the Second Annual Small Business Saturday® to Drive Business to Small Businesses
Aims to Unite and Inspire Consumers to Shop Small(SM) on November 26, 2011
WOODLAND HILLS, Calif., Nov. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Yowza!!, the leading location-based mobile coupon app, today announced its participation in the second annual Small Business Saturday® on November 26, 2011. Yowza!!! is supporting the Small Business Saturday Coalition by offering two free months of service followed by a 50percent discounted monthly rate to the first 15,000 merchants who join by Nov. 26, 2011. Details can be found at getyowza.com/amex. Small Business Saturday is a day for dedicating a portion of holiday shopping to local, independently owned small businesses.
American Express, founding partner of Small Business Saturday, is gearing up for the second annual event that is built on last year's inaugural program. Last year, small businesses saw a 28-percent increase in sales on American Express Cards on Small Business Saturday compared to the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2009.(1)
Yowza!! recognizes the importance of small businesses throughout North America, the jobs they help create and the culture they instill in local communities. As of 2007, small businesses had generated 64 percent of net new jobs in the previous 15 years and employed just over half of all private-sector employees, according to the Small Business Administration.
"We are proud to have Yowza!! join the Small Business Saturday Coalition," said Mary Ann Fitzmaurice, senior vice-president, American Express OPEN. "It is critical that we get as many supporters onboard as possible to generate demand for local small businesses this holiday season and beyond."
"Yowza!! is pleased to team with American Express to support the Small Business Saturday Coalition. Coupons have always been a sales driver for small businesses, and mobile coupons have proven to be 10 times more effective than traditional coupons. With Yowza!!, merchants can post offers in seconds and reach consumers when they are on the go and looking to spend money," said David Teichner, CEO, Yowza!! "We believe it's critical to support local businesses this holiday season and encourage others to do the same."
JOINING THE ANNUAL INITIATIVE
Social media will play a central role in helping raise awareness about the importance of supporting small businesses and recognizing Small Business Saturday as a day to Shop Small(SM). The Small Business Saturday Coalition will be driving consumers and business owners to facebook.com/ShopSmall where they can participate in many ways, including:
- American Express is giving a one-time $25 statement credit to Cardmembers who register their eligible American Express® Card for the Small Business Saturday offer and use their registered Card to spend $25 or more at a small business on Nov. 26.(2)
- Small business owners can go to facebook.com/ShopSmall to download online promotional materials that will help them drive sales to their business on Small Business Saturday.
- People can spread the word about the day and their favorite businesses by giving a shout-out to their favorite local shops and restaurants via Facebook and Twitter.
Valerie Christopherson/Lora Friedrichsen
Yowza!!/Global Results Comms (GRC)
Yowza!!® is the leading location-based mobile coupon, offer and announcement application, saving millions of consumers money on everyday purchases while increasing sales at more than 10,000 local and national retailers, including McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts, Big 5 Sporting Goods and Guitar Center. Yowza!! provides a level of local relevance using location-based technology that consumers have learned to expect. Businesses have the capability to add and update offers in seconds, effectively track results and dramatically increase sales by reaching new and existing customers with compelling coupons and information. Yowza!! was co-founded by television and film writer/producer/actor Greg Grunberg (known for his roles in hit dramas Heroes, Alias and Felicity). For more information, visit http://www.getyowza.com, http://www.facebook.com/getyowza or http://www.twitter.com/yowza.
ABOUT SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY
November 26 marks the second annual Small Business Saturday®, a day to support the local businesses that help create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods around the country. 1.5 million Facebook users, 130 public and private organizations, and 41 elected officials declared their support for Small Business Saturday last year. 100,000 small businesses downloaded SBS marketing materials, 10,000 businesses signed up for free Facebook advertising that ran on SBS and 200,000 Cardmembers registered their American Express Cards to receive a $25 statement credit when they shopped at a small business. In the first year, small retailers who accept the American Express Card saw a 28% increase in sales on Small Business Saturday.
(1) Based on internal American Express spending data as of 12/02/10.
(2) To be eligible for the Small Business Saturday $25 statement credit, you must (1) register any valid U.S. American Express® Consumer Card or Business Card by clicking on the link at www.facebook.com/ShopSmall and follow the directions provided, and (2) use that Card to make a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26, 2011. Registration starts November 1, 2011, and is limited. Limit one statement credit per registered Card, regardless of the number of transactions you make using that Card. Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express's offer on Facebook or Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.
Eligible small business merchants are independently owned small businesses located in the United States that accept the American Express Card. Purchases made at large or national chain stores, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible. Prepaid, Corporate Cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible.
If your registered Card is replaced during the promotional period, please call the customer service number on the back of your Card for assistance. Statement credits are generally issued within 5 business days after your qualifying purchase, but may take up to 2 billing cycles to post to your account. Additional terms apply; see Registration Terms & Conditions for details.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.