Canadian cities that lured in the crowds and the top international destinations for Canucks
TORONTO, Jan. 23, 2014 /CNW/ - A new year brings new changes, but they say there's no better way to predict the future than by looking at the past. So, using their Hotel Price Index™ HPI™, the travel experts at Hotels.com® are taking a look back at the most popular cities of 2013.
Which international cities had the biggest increase in Canadian visits?
- London, England: London's fame continued from 2012's Summer Games and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. This city saw the biggest spike in popularity, climbing three spots to close out at number five in 2013. The country might be known for its gloomy weather, but this city was hot for Canadian tourists.
- Orlando, Florida: The sunshine state shone bright last year overtaking Seattle for the number three spot. With its warm weather, competitively priced flights, exclusive travel deals for Canadians and numerous theme parks, you don't have to be a snowbird to claim Orlando's adventures.
- Newark, NJ: With easy access to the lights and sights of Manhattan and affordable and regular flights to and from Canada, Newark has become even more popular - up two spots - with travellers looking to visit the Big Apple and captured the 12th spot last year.
- Hong Kong: The island that has it all - big city shopping, colonial history, jaw-dropping views and sunny beaches - reappeared in the Top 20 in 2013 in 16th place, after having fallen off the list in 2012. English is widely spoken here and various forms of mass transit (including a maze of escalators!) make exploration of the Far East convenient and fun.
Unfortunately not all cities fared as well within the Top 20, the biggest drop was by Chicago, IL - down two spots to number seven.
Which Canadian cities had the biggest increase in visits from international travellers?
- Calgary, AB: After a catastrophic summer due to province-wide flooding, Calgary launched a tourism campaign to let travellers know the doors were open, and according to the HPI (up two spots to number five), it worked.
- Windsor, ON: With a popular casino and an interesting past life as a port used to smuggle whiskey during prohibition, Windsor is easy to access from the U.S. through the Windsor-Detroit tunnel. The 'Rose City' is an appealing option for travellers up three spots to number 14.
Although there was a surge in travellers to Calgary, nearby Canmore fell to number 17 after the floods and the city continues to work on reconstruction and strategies to address future floods. The top three Canadian cities for international visitors remain unchanged for the fourth year in a row: Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.
Sure popularity feels good, but as with everything in life, it's unlikely to last forever. If you're looking for some 'hot' destinations to add to your 2014 travel plans, consider the above and don't forget to check out the Hotels.com mobile app for wallet-friendly mobile-exclusive hotel deals. To learn more, join the conversation with @hotelsdotcomca on Twitter using the hashtag #TravelHabitsHPI.
Editor's note: To view the Top Travel Trends infographic and many more, visit the Hotels.com press room: http://press.hotels.com/en-ca/infographics/
About the HPI™
The HPI is a biannual report that looks at hotel prices in cities all around the world. The data is based on bookings made through the Hotels.com website and the prices listed are the actual prices paid by Canadians - not advertised rates.
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through the Expedia, Inc. global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with more than 240,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 10 million genuine Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome RewardsTM, customers can earn a free* night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 90,000 hotels. Under its Best Price Guarantee†, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travellers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Hotels.comCA, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcomca and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. More Hotels.com news is available at: http://press.hotels.com/en-ca/. Hotels.com, LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com, Hotel Price Index, HPI, Welcome Rewards Finding You the Perfect Place and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2014 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50
*Your free night is good at any Welcome Rewards eligible property. The maximum value of your free night is the average daily rate of your ten (10) nights. Your free night does not include taxes and fees.
† Best Price Guarantee on hotel bookings. If you find a lower price on exactly the same stay elsewhere, we'll match it or let you cancel your booking without a penalty. Terms and conditions apply.
Image with caption: "Which destinations will be trending in 2014? (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140123_C4740_PHOTO_EN_35800.jpg