NEW YORK, Aug. 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Near patient, or point-of-care (POC) testing products and proposals were a highlight of this year's largest gathering of clinical laboratory professionals in Atlanta, GA last week. The American Association of Clinical Chemistry (AACC) Annual Meeting and Clinical Lab Expo is attended by over 17,000 laboratory professionals and 784 exhibitors. Healthcare market research firm Kalorama Information tracks trends at the meeting annually. Kalorama noted eight important developments in at the convention that could assist clinicians in delivering test results faster.
Kalorama estimates the world point of care market to be 17 billion, according to its recent report detailing the POC market and profiling companies. The report, World Market for Point of Care Diagnostics, is available on its website: http://www.kaloramainformation.com/redirect.asp?progid=87703&productid=9030928. Among the developments at the meeting last week:
- A new fingerprick test for routine medical physicals, QDx InstaLab, that can perform tests such as diabetes, kidney disease and liver disease was promoted at the meeting by researchers from DiaSys Diagnostics India in Mumbai. The device works with a microfluidic cartridge technology together with novel nanomaterial-based plastic electrochemical biosensors, providing results in 3 to 10 minutes or less.
- A team of researchers led by Dr. Jeff Tza-Huei Wang from the Johns Hopkins University BioMEMS lab created a new smartphone DNA test capable of diagnosing chlamydia with high accuracy.
- Siemens demonstrated the Xprecia Stride™ Coagulation Analyzer, a handheld device that delivers lab accuracy in a near-patient format.
- Abbott Diagnostics demonstrated the i-STAT Total β-hCG, which Abbott says is the first and only handheld blood test for pregnancy. In emergency situations, this new blood test could play a crucial role in accurately determining a woman's pregnancy status before she receives medical treatment that could harm her baby.
- EKF Diagnostics, a global in vitro diagnostics company, announced the Altair™ 240 clinical chemistry analyzer at AACC. The new bench-top platform represents EKF Diagnostics' first fully integrated chemistry system designed for the global market. The fully automated system with LIS bi-directional connectivity is capable of performing up to 480 tests per hour.
- Magellan Diagnostics, Inc., announced it received US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 510(k) clearance to market the LeadCare Plus Blood Lead Testing System in the US for the quantification of lead levels in blood. Symptoms of lead exposure are non-specific and sub-clinical, therefore a routine blood test is often the only way to identify exposure in a child.
These were in addition to the announcement by Cepheid that it would launch its Gene Expert Omni molecular point-of-care platform next year, and the existing Alere i Influenza A & B test molecular point-of-care product for flu testing, significant developments previously reported by Kalorama Information.
IVD is a specialty area of Kalorama Information and point of care is studied by the firm once a year in some form, including general point of care, glucose, physician office labs and lateral flow tests. Kalorama staff will be walked the exhibit floor at AACC and reporting on events at the industry's latest meeting. The firm's report, the World Market for Point of Care Diagnostics provides market sizing and forecasts for many POC segments. The report can be found at: http://www.kaloramainformation.com/redirect.asp?progid=87703&productid=9030928.
About Kalorama Information
Kalorama Information, a division of MarketResearch.com, supplies the latest in independent medical market research in diagnostics, biotech, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and healthcare; as well as a full range of custom research services. Reports can be purchased through Kalorama's website and are also available on www.marketresearch.com and www.profound.com.
We routinely assist the media with healthcare topics. Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and our blog at www.kaloramainformation.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/aacc-2015-near-patient-testing-solutions-on-display-at-convention-300124164.html
SOURCE Kalorama Information