Web Site Features "Anesthesia & Me"(C) Checklist to Help Patients Organize Vital Medical Information in Preparation for Surgery
LifelinetoModernMedicine.com Provides Patients with Physician-Certified Tools and Resources
"Health care advancements and treatment options continue to expand rapidly, made possible by the anesthesiologists who oversee an estimated 40 million anesthetics administered in the U.S. each year," said
The general public and prospective patients will have access to various anesthesia related resources and tools on LifelinetoModernMedicine.com, including:
- The Anesthesia & Me(C) checklist, a potentially life-saving form that the ASA recommends people print, fill out and keep in their wallets in case of surgery. The checklist details a person's medical history, current medications, allergies and additional items necessary for proper anesthesia care.
- Information on the different types of anesthesia and the risks associated with each.
- Details about what to expect before and after surgery.
- Information on relevant medical specialties, including obstetrics, pediatrics, geriatric medicine and acute, chronic and cancer pain medicine.
- Real-life patient stories.
"Although millions of operations are performed each year, surgery is a big decision for every patient," said Moore. "LifelinetoModernMedicine.com gives patients a wealth of information so they can be well-informed about their options."
The last decade has seen explosive growth in the number of health care consumers who are searching for medical information on the Internet. According to Google AdWords, every month, 90 million consumers search for health and medical related information online. Health Web sites drew about 72 million unique visitors in 2008, a 14 percent increase from 2007.
Anesthesiologists are physicians who make modern medicine possible. Everyday, their practice enables life-saving care across a broad range of specialties when patients need it most. Anesthesiologists are responsible for the total care of the patient prior to, during and after surgery by keeping patients stable and safe through the administration of anesthesia, the monitoring of vital signs and body functions, and intervention during an emergency. Anesthesiologists have developed leading medical advances that have allowed modern medicine to become what it is today. Without advances in anesthesia many surgical procedures, such as transplants, cardiac surgery and brain surgery, would not be as advanced as they are currently.
About the ASA
Anesthesiologists: Physicians providing the lifeline of modern medicine. Founded in 1905, the American Society of Anesthesiologists is an educational, research and scientific association with 43,000 members organized to raise and maintain the standards of the medical practice of anesthesiology and improve the care of the patient.
For more information visit the American Society of Anesthesiologists Web site at www.asahq.org.
SOURCE American Society of Anesthesiologists