- Best-ever year for Toyota hybrid sales
- Second-best year ever for Lexus sales
TORONTO, Jan. 3, 2013 /CNW/ - Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) reported total sales of 192,058 vehicles in 2012, an increase of 18.4% versus 2011.
Highlights included a best-ever year for the sale of trucks up 11.0%, hybrids up 167.2%, and Scion vehicles up 22.5%. It was also the second-best year ever for Lexus sales, up 13.0%.
Toyota sales highlights for December 2012 (vs. 2011)
Toyota sales: 10,578 :: 171,174 for the year (up 18.7%)
- Toyota passenger car sales: 5,131 :: 93,514 for the year (up 25.5%)
- Yaris Hatch sales: 413 :: 8,440 for the year (up 76.4%)
- Corolla sales: 2,371 :: 40,906 for the year (up 11.6%)
- Camry sales: 710 :: 14,765 for the year (up 32.6%)
Toyota truck sales: 5,447 :: New annual record of 77,660 (up 11.4%)
- Tacoma 4x4 sales: 803 :: New annual record of 9,523 (up 33.6%)
- Canadian-built RAV4 sales: 1,487 :: New annual record of 25,942 (up 20.4%)
- Tundra 4X4 sales: 520 :: 7,025 for the year (up 8.7%)
- Highlander sales: 487 :: 5,735 for the year(up 21.1%)
- 4Runner sales: 250 :: 2,878 for the year(up 11.6%)
- Sienna sales: 779 :: 11,858 for the year(up 9.4%)
Toyota hybrid sales: 928 :: New annual record of 14,595 (up 250%)::
Hybrids represented 8.5% of Toyota sales in 2012
Prius family sales: 614 :: New December record :: New annual record of
10,041 (up 370.5%)
- Prius v sales: 242 :: 4,077 for the year
- Prius c sales: 179 :: 2,530 for the year :: Accounted for 16.6% of overall Toyota subcompact sales in 2012
- Prius family sales: 614 :: New December record :: New annual record of 10,041 (up 370.5%)
- Highlander Hybrid sales: 123 :: 1,116 for the year(up 33.2%)
- Camry Hybrid sales: 191 :: 3,438 for the year (up 187.0%)
"We're delighted with what we achieved in 2012, from Camry finishing number one in the intermediate segment to our record truck sales," said Larry Hutchinson, Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. "And we're especially proud that we met our goal to make 2012 the year of the hybrid. We established several impressive records for hybrid sales anchored by surging momentum for the iconic Prius brand."
Lexus sales highlights for December 2012 (vs. 2011)
Lexus luxury car sales: 563 :: 7,366 for the year (up 20.7%)
- GS 350 sales: 48 :: New December record :: New annual record of 869 (up 662.3%)
- ES sales: 160 :: 2,206 for the year (up 16.6%)
Lexus hybrid sales: 216 :: New annual record of 2,879 (up 21.5%) ::
Hybrid models accounted for 19.1% of Lexus sales in 2012
- CT 200h sales: 92 :: New annual record of 1,640 (up 21.5%)
Lexus luxury SUV sales: 602 :: 7,765 for the year (up 6.5%)
- RX sales: 478 :: 6,388 for the year (up 5.2%)
- LX sales: 14 :: 259 for the year (up 127.2%)
"In 2012, we introduced Canadians to our exciting new Lexus design language," said Cyril Dimitris, Director, Lexus Canada. "Now, coming off our second-best year for Lexus sales, we're looking forward to carrying this momentum into 2013 and propelling Lexus to new heights beginning with the reveal of the IS at this month's Detroit Auto Show."
Scion sales highlights for December 2012 (vs. 2011)
- Scion sales: 461 :: New December record :: New annual record of 5,783 (up 22.5%)
"It was a landmark year for Scion," said Cyril Dimitris, Director, Scion Canada. "Introduced to Canada just a little over 2 years ago, we are proud of the inroads the Scion brand has made in attracting youthful buyers to the Toyota family."
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every vehicle starting in 2011. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI's head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.
SOURCE Toyota Canada Inc.