Active Pass and Estevan Point Lighthouses Designated under Heritage Lighthouse Legislation
OTTAWA, Jan. 13, 2014 /CNW/ - Office of the Minister of the Environment
The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, today designated two more lighthouses in British Columbia under the Canadian Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act (HLPA): Active Pass and Estevan Point Lighthouses.
The HLPA, which was adopted in 2008, allows for the protection of federally-owned lighthouses on Canada's coastal and inland waters that have significant heritage value. Administered by Parks Canada, the HLPA helps ensure Canada's maritime history is protected for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.
Canadians have nominated hundreds of lighthouses to be considered for designation under the Act.
- Active Pass Heritage Lighthouse and Estevan Point Heritage Lighthouse are located in two protected areas (Gulf Islands National Park Reserve of Canada and Hesquiat Peninsula Provincial Park, respectively).
- The Active Pass Lighthouse can be seen by millions of ferry passengers sailing each year between Vancouver Island and Vancouver.
- The Estevan Point Lighthouse, located in the Hesquiat Peninsula, was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine during the Second World War.
- Two other British Columbia lighthouses, East Point and Fisgard, were designated heritage lighthouses in May 2013.
"The exceptional maritime history of Active Pass Lighthouse in the Gulf Islands, and Estevan Point Lighthouse in the Hesquiat Peninsula, will now be protected for future generations to appreciate and enjoy. I am proud our Government attaches such great importance to our West Coast national treasures."
Leona Aglukkaq, Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada
"The Active Pass and Estevan Point lighthouses located in important British Columbian waterways, are illustrations of the significant role lighthouses have played in our maritime history. Today's designation will allow us to preserve a part of British Columbia's extraordinary heritage and remind us of the essential role lighthouses along our entire coast have played in our past and continue to play today."
Hon. James Moore, Minister of Industry and Minister Responsible for British Columbia
- Backgrounder: New Heritage Lighthouse Designations - Active Pass Heritage Lighthouse and Estevan Heritage Lighthouse
- Heritage Lighthouses of Canada (home page)
- Designated Lighthouses
- Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act
- First two BC Heritage Lighthouses Designated
SOURCE Parks Canada
Image with caption: "British-Columbia's Active Pass Lighthouse was today designated a heritage lighthouse. (CNW Group/Parks Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140113_C8316_PHOTO_EN_35476.jpg
Also from this source
You just read:
Another Two Important Heritage Lighthouses Protected in British Columbia
Jan 13, 2014, 01:00 EST