NEW YORK, March 13, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Use this report to:
- Evaluate the effect of strategic factors such as technology-driven change and industry consolidation on the antifungal drugs market.
- Investigate the current market dynamics and factors influencing the future growth opportunities in the antifungal drugs market.
- Review the principal competitors, their product portfolio, patents and revenues by individual product line where available.
- The global market for antifungal drugs was valued at $13.1 billion in 2016. The market should reach $16.1 billion by 2021, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.2% from 2016 to 2021.
- The global market for prescription antifungal drugs was valued at $7.0 billion in 2016. The market should reach $8.3 billion by 2021, growing at a CAGR of 3.5% from 2016 to 2021.
- The global market for over the counter (OTC) antifungal drugs was valued at $6.1 billion in 2016. The market should reach $7.8 billion by 2021, growing at a CAGR of 5.0% from 2016 to 2021.
INTRODUCTION TO THE REPORT
The goal of BCC Research in conducting this study was to determine the current status of the global human antifungal market and assess its growth potential over the five-year period from 2016 to 2021. This report covers approved human therapeutics, with a heavy focus on therapeutics in early development. These new molecular and biological entities are from traditional pharmaceutical sources, naturally derived synthetic chemicals and biological sources as well as the "herbal natural folk medicine" marketplace. If an approved or well-known medicine is being studied in combination with another molecular entity, it is considered a new therapy and often has been included for review. New drug and patent applications are presented as the study focuses on new methods of drug administration, drug clinical trials, and discovery and development.
It should be noted that there is a strong emphasis on early research due to the critical need for new and more effective medicines; hence, BCC Research is including a section of medicines intended for human utilization that are in clinical testing as well as information on new and novel in vitro therapies. Greater than 98% of medicines at the preclinical level are terminated prior to their utilization in humans, and the research in this area is vast.
We are limiting this research to therapies that depict a positive result or that represent a very rare and novel approach worthy of further review from R&D groups. Our key objective in this report is to present an in-depth analysis of the current human antifungal market and to explore its future direction. In the last five years there has
been a decrease in the number of patent applications filed in this area. Between 1990 and 1999, there were six U.S. patents granted – evidence of the evolution of drug resistance and an increasing mortality rate.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Fungi are highly resistant microbiological eukaryotic microorganisms. In other words, they are becoming drug-resistant to the approved compounds and some therapies later in clinical development. The therapies are designed to eradicate these fungi through the various antifungal mechanisms of action, such as disrupting reproductive capabilities, destroying cell walls or modifying fungal DNA and cell functioning. It is a given fact that infestations in humans, animals, plants and the environment are on the rise, with many having lethal consequences in both the immunocompetent and the immunocompromised.
That being the case, BCC Research was particularly interested in examining the antifungal market growth of developing products depicting efficacy. We are including data regarding the market shift for those products that are now relegated to over-the-counter (OTC) status that previously had only been provided by prescription; moreover, we will identify new antifungal research, development, new drug applications and novel approaches to the market.
Previously, BCC Research examined the antifungal market in its 2003 report, PHM029A The Market for Antifungal Drugs, in PHM029B Global Markets for Antifungal Agents in PHM029C Antifungal Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets and in the 2014 report PHM029E Antifungal Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets.
Due to the rapidly changing market, BCC Research chose to re-examine the marketplace through another analysis and project its new growth potential. Additionally, PHM029A focused only on human fungal diseases and associated antifungals; PHM029B incorporated the marketplace for antifungals in the veterinary, agricultural and environmental industries; and PHM029C and PHM029D focused on human therapeutics with an intensive focus on human therapeutics in the developmental pipeline. PHM029E is an update of PHM029D.
The aim of this report is to initially conduct a review of the antifungal drugs currently available, the issues facing the use of antifungal drugs and review some of the latest developments of new and innovative antifungal drugs, their technologies, and their intended clinical applications.
The key objective was also to conduct and provide an analysis of the market value, growth rates, market shares, market development as well as examining the market dynamics and market factors influencing the growth and development of this market. This report also looks at the challenges and potential threats facing the industry, and the factors influencing the market shares of the major market suppliers as well as smaller indigenous manufactures in local markets.
The emphasis of this report is to provide the reader with:
- A detailed analysis of the revenues and forecasts for the global antifungal drugs market with a further more detailed analysis and forecast of the revenues for the global market sub-divided by major market sub-segments by geographic region and finally by selected country.
- A detailed analysis of the global market share together with a further more detailed analysis of the market share by geographic regions and finally by selected country.
In addition this analysis provides a:
- Detailed review of the current products, their indications and availability for all the market segments identified.
- Profile of the individual markets sub-segments within the major market segments analyzed and the distinguishing features of each of the market sub-segments.
- Review of the major market opportunities through the recognition of specific high-growth and emerging market opportunities.
- Brief description of the historical development for each of the major market segments.
- Profile of the leading suppliers of antifungal drugs together with related information about specific products.
The study will allow the reader to:
- Evaluate the effect of strategic factors such as technology-driven change and industry consolidation for the antifungal drug market.
- Investigate the current market dynamics that are driving change in the antifungal drug market.
- Assess future growth opportunities in the antifungal drug market.
- Review the main products in each sector and plan a product entry strategy in line with the strengths and weaknesses of the competition.
- Utilize the report to help realize an individual company's position in the market place and to provide insight into the future of the market and the opportunities that exist.
The data collection and forecasting methods used in the preparation of this report are broadly divided into three methods.
PRIMARY DATA AND INFORMATION GATHERING
Data on individual product and company sales was gathered through interviews with manufacturers, end users, suppliers, distributors, and other relevant sources. These interviews typically include marketing managers, sales managers, distributor managers and owners, sales representatives and managers responsible for research and development (R&D). In addition, interviews were conducted with senior managers amongst competing companies to determine the strategic direction and focus on the technological advances being made and the sales and marketing policies being adopted.
Representatives of the leading suppliers included Ferrer Internacional S.A., Enzon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Astellas Pharma Inc., Galderma Pharma SA Galderma SA, Gilead Sciences, Inc., Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited, Sigma-Tau Pharma-ceuticals, Inc., TEVA Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd., Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. and Dartmouth Pharmaceuticals.
To ensure that the data derived from competitive interviews was accurate, the information was verified and corroborated by other interviews and by secondary sources, such as articles in the trade press, press releases, annual reports, online databases and government reports.
SECONDARY DATA AND INFORMATION GATHERING
Information was obtained from numerous secondary data sources, including statistics provided by the CDC, WHO, FDA, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), The Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA), Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAOUN), the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), the American Phytopathological Society, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), the Generic Pharmaceutical Association (GPhA), the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) and the European Generic Medicines Association (EGA).
While these are believed to be the best secondary sources of data for various fungal diseases, the estimation of trends from this data is complicated by periodic changes in reporting and classification methods. In addition to the use of corporate annual and quarterly reports, data was obtained from security offering prospectuses, Forms 10-K and 10-Q, and product catalogs and price lists. This data was used along with other sources of data on company revenues (investment analysts' reports, Reuter's, Dun &
Bradstreet, the CorpTech Directory, and personal communications from executives of various companies) to develop historic and current estimates of market revenues. Prices used in projections of market revenues are average prices paid by the end-user for the products and are derived.
MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS AND MARKET FORECAST PREDICTION
Information and data, including estimates on market values, growth rates and market share data, were gathered through interviews with the competitors in the market. Great care was taken to avoid bias and untruths through developing a good relationship on the telephone and by using carefully worded questions that cross-verify themselves. The answers from the respondents were cross verified with answers from other employees and owners of the same company as well as from other manufacturers. Annual reports and the trade press also confirmed that the data collected were in the correct range.
The data gathered was incorporated into proprietary computer forecasting and market share analysis models. The forecast model was used to derive market estimates for future years. It incorporates a rate factor, which helps determine the speed with which the market develops, which is similar to that observed for markets for other medical products and is adjusted to match historic data for the market under analysis.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p02212016-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution. Reportlinker finds and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/antifungal-drugs-technologies-and-global-markets-300422918.html