In this release:
- Canadians toast World Nutella Day on February 5th
- Nutella announces recipients of $100,000 in breakfast program funding
- Joannie Rochette helps inspire Canadians to achieve their best at breakfast events
TORONTO, Feb. 5, 2013 /CNW/ - As fans around the globe spread Nutella on warm bread this morning to 'toast' World Nutella Day, Canadians can savour the taste of giving back knowing the breakfast spread is helping kids across the country start the day off right.
The first recipients of the Nutella Breakfast Table Fund will be announced on World Nutella Day this February 5th. World Nutella Day is celebrated around the world as a day dedicated to the brand and those that love it. In honour of this, Nutella is channelling that support to others through $100,000 in funding for Canadians who are championing breakfast.
The Nutella Breakfast Table Fund, launched in September 2012, received more than 400 applications from Canadian individuals and organizations committed to breakfast. In total, 20 recipients ranging from a skating club to an outdoor survival camp to school breakfast programs will receive funding with the common goal of helping Canadian kids discover the joy and benefits of breakfast.
"We were blown away by the applications from inspiring people doing great work to ensure breakfast remains the most important meal of the day," said Shoshana Price, Senior Brand Manager for Nutella in Canada. "We are thrilled to celebrate World Nutella Day in such a meaningful way. We look forward to working with the organizations in the coming months and to help make sure more Canadians get back to the breakfast table."
Research from Canada's Breakfast Report shows that, while 9 or 10 Canadian mom agree it's important that their kids eat a balanced breakfast each day, nearly a third (29%) say their kids skipped breakfast once in the past week.
To help struggling parents overcome these challenges, Nutella has teamed up with Olympian and breakfast champion Joannie Rochette to show Canadians the heights they can reach if they start their day off with breakfast. She will be visiting some of The Breakfast Table Fund recipient events to help inspire children first hand to reach their full potential through breakfast.
"I can't imagine starting my day without breakfast, but I know that it is often the case for many Canadian children," said Rochette. "I know first hand just how important breakfast is which is why I am excited to be working with Nutella and these recipients to help more Canadian children eat breakfast."
The 2013 Nutella Breakfast Table Fund recipients include:
• Cooking Healthy Together Breakfast Program, Toronto, Ontario
• Ealing Public and Home School, London, Ontario
• Feathers Against Bullying, Toronto, Ontario
• Friends of Laurentian Elementary School, St Andre d'Argenteuil, Quebec
• Holy Family School, Hanover, Ontario
• Hope Secondary School Foods Program, Rosedale, British Columbia
• Hume School, Nelson, British Columbia
• Juno Beach Academy of Canadian Studies, Calgary, Alberta
• Lunenberg Skating Club, Lunenberg, Nova Scotia
• Mary Gardner Elementary School, Chateauguay, Quebec
• Parkland School Division, Stony Plain, Alberta
• Pope John Paul II Breakfast Program, Kenora, Ontario
• Semiahmoo Family Place, Surrey, British Columbia
• Share the Warmth, Montreal, Quebec
• St. Joseph Nutrition Awareness Program, Orona, Ontario
• Success Beyond Limits Education Program, Toronto, Ontario
• The Camp Experience, Sainte Foy, Quebec
• Volunteer Center of Cowansville, Cowansville, Quebec
• Westview School, Fort McMurray, Alberta
• Yorkton Parents and Tots Program, Yorkton, Saskatchewan
Visit Facebook.com/TheBreakfastTable to celebrate World Nutella Day and join Canada's breakfast conversation.
As a joyful and delicious part of breakfast for over 40 years, Nutella knows the important role breakfast plays in a child's day. The brand is committed to ensuring that more children are getting the breakfast they need every morning. This year Nutella is taking its commitment to breakfast further and has launched The Nutella Breakfast Table Fund, designed to help more Canadian children eat the breakfast they need every day. To learn more visit www.facebook.com/TheBreakfastTable