OTTAWA, July 17, 2012 /CNW/ - The Canadian Medical Association (CMA) is pleased to invite entries for the 2012 Media Awards for Health Reporting.
The CMA is proud to sponsor the awards, which honour outstanding Canadian journalism that enhances understanding of health, the health system and the role of health professionals. In an effort to reflect new trends in health reporting and to accurately reflect the current realities of the industry, four new categories have been added: digital media, multicultural and international health reporting, and emerging health issues. Changes have also been made in the print categories to allow for a distinction between large and mid-size outlets. This will ensure that entries from media outlets with similar resources will be evaluated in the same pool.
The 2012 award categories are:
- The Michelle Lang Award for Excellence in Print Reporting - In-depth feature article
- Excellence in Health Reporting - Print (Large market)
- Excellence in Health Reporting - Print (Mid-size market)
- Excellence in Health Reporting - Television news
- Excellence in Health Reporting - Television in-depth reporting
- Excellence in Health Reporting - Radio
- Excellence in Local Health Reporting - Print and broadcast
- Excellence in Digital Health Reporting
- Excellence in Emerging Health Care Issue Reporting - Print, broadcast
- The Norman Bethune Award for Excellence in International Health Reporting - Print, broadcast
- Excellence in Multicultural Health Reporting - Print, broadcast
To be considered, stories must have been printed or broadcast between Aug. 4, 2011, and Aug. 10, 2012, inclusive. Entries must be received by Aug. 17, 2012.
Each entry will be judged by a committee of medical, health-sector and journalism professionals from across Canada. The awards will be presented Oct. 17, 2012, during a gala event at the Château Laurier in Ottawa.
Please visit www.mediaawards.ca for full rules and more information on how to submit an entry.
SOURCE CANADIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION