Coca-Cola Extends Presence in Heart of New York City; Coca-Cola Renews Its Lease on Times Square Home of Signature Coca-Cola Sign

Apr 26, 2001, 01:00 ET from The Coca-Cola Company

    NEW YORK, April 26 /PRNewswire/ -- The world's largest Coca-Cola bottle
 sign, a longtime landmark in the heart of New York City, will keep its home in
 Times Square for another decade.  The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE:   KO) announced
 today that it has signed a new lease agreement with Sherwood Outdoor, the
 outdoor advertising division of Sherwood Equities, ensuring that Coca-Cola's
 three-dimensional neon spectacular sign at Two Times Square will remain at the
 "crossroads of the world" through 2011.
     The current lease for advertising space with Sherwood Outdoor expires in
 November 2001.  The new agreement will take effect December 2001.  Terms of
 the agreement were not disclosed.
     The animated, 65-foot high, 41-foot wide sign weighs more than 55 tons and
 features the world's largest Coca-Cola bottle, a 42-foot tall version of the
 classic contour bottle.  More than one mile of neon tubing, 60 miles of fiber
 optic tubing and 12,000 light bulbs illuminate the sign.  Every day, some
 1.5 million people pass under the signature lights of Times Square.
     The Coca-Cola Company's first billboard near Times Square was placed atop
 the Astor Theatre at West 45th Street in 1920.  It was in 1932 that Coca-Cola
 obtained the bottom tier of the sign at Two Times Square.
     As Coca-Cola's slogans changed with the times, so did its messages in
 Times Square.  "The Pause that Refreshes" ushered in the war-torn '40s.  The
 sign was changed to show two bell soda fountain glasses on either side, with a
 neon grid connecting the two.  "Drink Coca-Cola" appeared in the center, while
 "The Pause that Refreshes" was visible in the grid.
     Coca-Cola unveiled a new neon spectacular in the '60s, as rectangles gave
 way to a circular sign that occupied the center spot on the Times Square
 board.
     In 1970, Coca-Cola reclaimed the rectangle that remains associated with
 the trademark sign today.  The 40' x 45' sign displayed "Enjoy Coca-Cola" and
 told passers-by the time of day and the temperature.
     In 1991, Artkraft Strauss Sign Corp. built the Company's current neon
 "spectacular," located on the side of the Two Times Square building at W. 47th
 Street and Broadway.
 
 

SOURCE The Coca-Cola Company
    NEW YORK, April 26 /PRNewswire/ -- The world's largest Coca-Cola bottle
 sign, a longtime landmark in the heart of New York City, will keep its home in
 Times Square for another decade.  The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE:   KO) announced
 today that it has signed a new lease agreement with Sherwood Outdoor, the
 outdoor advertising division of Sherwood Equities, ensuring that Coca-Cola's
 three-dimensional neon spectacular sign at Two Times Square will remain at the
 "crossroads of the world" through 2011.
     The current lease for advertising space with Sherwood Outdoor expires in
 November 2001.  The new agreement will take effect December 2001.  Terms of
 the agreement were not disclosed.
     The animated, 65-foot high, 41-foot wide sign weighs more than 55 tons and
 features the world's largest Coca-Cola bottle, a 42-foot tall version of the
 classic contour bottle.  More than one mile of neon tubing, 60 miles of fiber
 optic tubing and 12,000 light bulbs illuminate the sign.  Every day, some
 1.5 million people pass under the signature lights of Times Square.
     The Coca-Cola Company's first billboard near Times Square was placed atop
 the Astor Theatre at West 45th Street in 1920.  It was in 1932 that Coca-Cola
 obtained the bottom tier of the sign at Two Times Square.
     As Coca-Cola's slogans changed with the times, so did its messages in
 Times Square.  "The Pause that Refreshes" ushered in the war-torn '40s.  The
 sign was changed to show two bell soda fountain glasses on either side, with a
 neon grid connecting the two.  "Drink Coca-Cola" appeared in the center, while
 "The Pause that Refreshes" was visible in the grid.
     Coca-Cola unveiled a new neon spectacular in the '60s, as rectangles gave
 way to a circular sign that occupied the center spot on the Times Square
 board.
     In 1970, Coca-Cola reclaimed the rectangle that remains associated with
 the trademark sign today.  The 40' x 45' sign displayed "Enjoy Coca-Cola" and
 told passers-by the time of day and the temperature.
     In 1991, Artkraft Strauss Sign Corp. built the Company's current neon
 "spectacular," located on the side of the Two Times Square building at W. 47th
 Street and Broadway.
 
 SOURCE  The Coca-Cola Company