NEW YORK, May 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Dr Pepper today announces the launch of its first music studio in partnership with Complex Media, the premier multi-media lifestyle destination for young males. Located in Hollywood, CA, the cutting-edge facility is an exciting new recording home for musical artists, starting with an exclusive series of three "One of a Kind" EPs produced by some of today's leading and emerging talent. The first EP to be released, "Only One Place to Get It," produced by RZA, will be available on Complex.com on May 14th. The studio will also host a series of intimate listening events with talent and fans.
Released in time for summer, each four-track EP will feature the songs of one of three leading producers who will each work with the same four artists. The producers are RZA, The Hood Internet and David Andrew Sitek, and the musicians are Robert DeLong, Rockie Fresh, Tinashe and RAC. In addition, Complex will produce video profiles of each of the producers and artists featured in the One of a Kind series. The EPs and videos will be posted at: Complex.com/DrPepper.
"Complex's industry leading initiatives reach consumers in ways that others can't. Our partnership goes beyond a Dr Pepper logo placement to delve deeper into the music scene with some of today's most remarkable producers and artists," says Jaxie Alt, senior vice president of marketing for Dr Pepper. "We have created an experience that captures the true of essence of what Dr Pepper is all about: being One of a Kind."
Said Rich Antoniello, CEO of Complex Media: "We know that our audience and Dr Pepper consumers want to be on the cutting-edge of music discovery. Our partnership on the music studio creates a launching pad for collaborations among some of today's best musical artists."
Continued Antoniello: "Dr Pepper is fearlessly betting that it can compete in mindshare and not just market share. This is a brand that is willing to ask an important question that all marketers should ask themselves: why piggy back on someone else's conversation when you can start your own? We think the finished results – awesome music tracks by some amazing artists – will speak for themselves."
The studio, located in the heart of the renowned and thriving Los Angeles music scene, will be the site of ongoing recording sessions with an array of talent. Dr Pepper and Complex Media selected each of the artists and producers in the One of a Kind studio recordings following an intensive search.
About the producers and artists behind One of a Kind sessions:
- The Hood Internet is a duo of Chicago-based producers: ABX and STV SLV. Known for creating inventive mash-ups of rap and indie rock, it has been a driving force in independent hip-hop for the better part of a decade. This EP will be released on June 12.
- David Andrew Sitek is widely considered one of the most forward-thinking rock producers. He has produced albums for some of the past decade's indie rock luminaries, notably Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Foals and Santigold. He also produced Scarlett Johansson's 2008 release, Anywhere I Lay My Head. His solo work includes the album Maximum Balloon, which includes collaborations with Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs and David Byrne. This EP will be released on July 16.
- RZA is universally regarded as one of the best producers in the history of hip-hop and is also an accomplished rapper, actor and filmmaker. A founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, RZA produced seminal solo works for key Wu-Tang Clan members, as well as the group's legendary first release, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). In addition to his work with Wu-Tang Clan, RZA has produced or remixed tracks for artists ranging from The Notorious B.I.G. to Earl Sweatshirt. RZA has released four albums as a solo artist, and co-wrote, directed and starred in the film The Man with the Iron Fists.
- Robert Delong is a musician who bridges the gap between EDM and indie rock, applying his background in percussion to electronic tracks. He made a splash with his first major single, "Global Concepts," and released his first full-length album, Just Movement, in 2013.
- Rockie Fresh has released seven mixtapes, earning his spot on Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group (Atlantic Records) through the viral popularity of his projects. He was also featured four songs on MMG's "Self Made 3" album, which debuted at #4 on the Billboard charts in 2013. The Chicago native is known for his collaborations beyond just rising hip-hop stars but also established rock acts like Fall Out Boy and Good Charlotte. The artist is planning to release his debut album in the coming year.
- Tinashe is a multi-talented performer who has worked as a model and actress, and is now poised to make a major impact as a musician. Her two 2012 mixtapes, In Case We Die and Reverie, earned her a deal with RCA Records. Her debut album is due in 2014.
- RAC Acclaimed remixer/artist RAC (aka Andre Allen Anjos) is the mastermind behind some of the most memorable remixes of recent years, giving the world new takes on tracks by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Lana Del Rey, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes, and many more. Born and raised in Portugal, RAC settled in Portland, Oregon, where he began to forge his unique brand of indie-pop culminating with the release of his first full- length original album Strangers out now on Cherrytree Records.
The One of a Kind series of EPs and videos will be distributed across a wide array of platforms for maximum simultaneous amplification, including: SoundCloud, YouTube, Vevo, Spotify, Batanga Radio and XBox as well.
About Complex Media:
Complex Media is the largest multiplatform lifestyle destination for young males, with 110 million unique monthly visitors and 1.2 billion monthly pageviews (both per Google Analytics). The company is comprised of a collective of lifestyle sites for men, anchored by a flagship hub, Complex.com, the online home of Complex magazine (founded in 2002). Complex Media consists of a carefully curated family of sites that are vetted for editorial integrity and consistency. Complex Media has a powerful social platform, with more than 30% of its traffic derived from social networks. The company offers cutting-edge video and industry leading branded content opportunities for marketers, and works with many of the world's top brands including Levi's, Cadillac, Pepsi, Heinken and Reebok.
About Dr Pepper:
Dr Pepper, a brand of Dr Pepper Snapple Group (NYSE: DPS), is the oldest major soft drink in the United States. Since 1885, the 23 flavors of Dr Pepper have earned legions of fans that enjoy its unique, refreshing taste. The brand is available in Regular, Low Calorie, Diet, Caffeine Free and Cherry varieties. DPS is a leading producer of flavored beverages, marketing Dr Pepper and 50-plus other beverage brands across North America and the Caribbean. For more information, visit DrPepper.com or DrPepperSnapple.com. For the brand's latest news and updates, follow Dr Pepper at Facebook.com/DrPepper or Twitter.com/DrPepper.
CONTACT = Mario Ruiz 1-917-864-5370 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Complex Media