PHILADELPHIA, May 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Elsevier is proud to salute the often unsung work of nurses everywhere with multiple activities, including the annual 'Superheroes of Nursing' contest
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, in honor of National Nurses Week (May 6-12), has organized several campaigns, opened access to top-cited nursing research and written about the status and future of the nursing profession.
A centrepiece of Elsevier's activities celebrating National Nurses Week 2014 - and International Nurses Day on May 12, with the theme of "A Force for Change, A Vital Resource for Health" - is a special new video, "Here's to Nurses."
In today's health care system, nurses increasingly are counted on to know more, obtain more professional qualifications, publish peer-reviewed research and be responsible for more care coordination of their patients than ever before. At the same time, the supply of nurses and nurse educators remains tight. Now more than ever, we must support the women and men who decide to work in this highly valued profession.
"We at Elsevier spend a great deal of time and effort helping nurses become educated for their careers, stay current with the latest continuing education, and practice their profession supported by high-quality content and electronic workflow tools," said Jay Katzen, President, Elsevier Clinical Solutions. "We are proud to show our support for the people and the profession that increasingly is becoming the lynchpin of health care systems across the world."
Other Elsevier activities for National Nurses Week 2014 include:
- Recognizing the scores of nurses who work at Elsevier with a story on Elsevier Connect that talks about the industry challenges and looks to the future.
- Making available for free the top-cited articles of all time from each of more than 30 nursing journals during National Nurses Week. The list of these free articles can be accessed from NursingPlus.
- Highlighting nurses and the importance of supporting them with the best possible clinical and research information in a blog on The Huffington Post written by Olivier Dumon, Managing Director for Elsevier's Academic & Government Research Markets Group.
- Kicking off Elsevier's annual "Superheroes of Nursing" campaign, in which anyone, including peers, can nominate nurses for outstanding service. Nominations are accepted at ElsevierHeroes.com. Elsevier will announce the four winners via Facebook in September, and will honor the winners at the ANCC National Magnet Conference, Oct. 8-10 in Dallas.
- Releasing a report on a national nurse executive survey and forum conducted by The Center for Transdisciplinary Evidence-Based Practice and The Ohio State University School of Nursing, in association with Elsevier. The report, "Leveraging Evidence-Based Practice to Enhance Healthcare Quality, Reliability, Patient Outcomes and Cost Containment," was part of an Elsevier Innovation Seed Fund idea submitted by Kathy Wyngarden, MSN, RN, FNP, Manager for Elsevier CPM Consortium.
"The new thank-you video is one way for us all to show our appreciation for what nurses do for patients day-in and day-out," said John Danaher, President, Elsevier Education. "As an education and information provider to nurses in all phases of their professional development, from nursing school through practice, we are honored to support nurses and the nursing profession."
In addition to the above activities for National Nurses Week 2014, the Elsevier Foundation continues to support the Nurse Faculty Leadership Academy (NFLA), a 22-month program to groom nurse educators into industry leaders. The NFLA, jointly founded by Elsevier and Sigma Theta Tau International, the Nursing Honor Society, which runs the program, is now educating its third cohort of nurses.
# # #
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress. Elsevier provides web-based, digital solutions - among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Elsevier Research Intelligence and ClinicalKey - and publishes nearly 2,200 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and over 25,000 book titles, including a number of iconic reference works.
The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group PLC, a world-leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors, which is jointly owned by Reed Elsevier PLC and Reed Elsevier NV. The ticker symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and ENL (New York Stock Exchange).
Director, Corporate Relations