U.S. Micro Meets Rapidly Increasing Demand for IT Asset Disposition and Recycling With New Las Vegas Facility

Next Generation Recycling and Remanufacturing Center to Open in October at International Conference

Jun 29, 2011, 09:00 ET from U.S. Micro Corporation

ATLANTA, June 29, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. Micro Corporation (www.usmicrocorp.com) announced it is expanding its national IT recycling footprint and operation with a $15 million, 130,000 square-foot data destruction and IT recycling center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The next generation facility incorporates cutting-edge environmental and remanufacturing best practices and will come online during the International Association of Information Technology Asset Managers (IAITAM) conference in Las Vegas this October.

Using proprietary technology, U.S. Micro will turn e-waste – including plastics, base metals and CRT glass – into non-volatile materials for construction and finished products such as bicycle racks and outdoor lumber. The move represents a significant expansion for the company, which anticipates rapid increase in demand for data destruction and electronics recycling across the $5 billion U.S. industry.

U.S. Micro is the lead platinum sponsor for the IAITAM annual conference that will be held October 12-14 in Las Vegas. The company will host a tour of its new facility and grand opening event for conference attendees, industry and economic development leaders and state/regional dignitaries.

The expansion reflects U.S. Micro's belief that responsible disposal of IT assets will increasingly be a top environmental priority for Fortune 500 companies, government entities and organizations. According to the EPA, 20 million computers in the U.S. became obsolete in 1998. That number has since increased, with marked proliferation of portable and disposable devices such as laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc., that can retain large amounts of sensitive data. The International Data Corporation (IDC) estimated an installed base of 338.3 million PCs in the U.S. in 2010, with a 20.5% annual retirement rate.

Jim Kegley, founder and president of U.S. Micro, emphasizes the importance of environmental stewardship and rigorous data destruction as the volume of e-waste and stored data continue to skyrocket.

"In addition to being the security company with the best safety record for disposing of IT equipment and protecting data, U.S. Micro is absolutely committed to safeguarding the environment. As technology continues to progress, huge numbers of assets need to be retired regularly and responsibly. Our Las Vegas facility provides the infrastructure necessary to support a more sustainable IT asset lifecycle, guaranteeing that components of retired equipment will be recycled according to EPA guidelines – and never buried in a landfill," said Kegley.

Data Destruction a Crucial Security Concern

In addition to its environmental leadership in the IT asset disposition (ITAD) industry, U.S. Micro has pioneered an on-site, proprietary system of data destruction that has enabled it to process millions of data bearing devices since 1995 without a single data breach. While enterprises spend millions on security features when acquiring and maintaining equipment, many are unprepared to deal with sensitive information at risk on a wide range of rapidly proliferating equipment including computers/laptops, copiers, printers, smart phones, and more when disposing of assets.

About U.S. Micro Corporation:

Since 1995, U.S. Micro Corporation has been a major innovator and leader in enterprise IT recycling.  Founded in Atlanta, Ga., U.S. Micro disposes of over one million IT assets annually, serving Fortune 500 companies that demand the highest levels of data security and environmental stewardship. To further its sustainable initiative, the company refurbishes and sells approximately 90% of the IT equipment it processes; the remaining 10% is EPA-compliantly recycled.  U.S. Micro is committed to a 100% no landfill policy and was awarded G.R.A.D.E. certification (Green Recycling Asset Disposal for the Enterprise) by IDC.  For more information visit www.usmicrocorp.com.    

SOURCE U.S. Micro Corporation