MILWAUKEE, Aug. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- As parents get ready to send their children off to college, Dr. Bob Neuman has sobering news. The college prep expert and former university dean says 40 percent of freshmen will find themselves overwhelmed within the first few weeks. Eighty-six percent of professors say college students are not prepared for college work. Why? Because they have not been taught how to succeed in college, which requires completely different skills than high school.
The statistics speak for themselves; 25 percent of college freshman drop out, and only one out of three students graduate in four years. The rest will pay 25 to 50+ percent more to get their degrees — if they even graduate, he points out.
Dr. Bob, author of the new College Smart book series, targets students from middle school through college, along with their parents, high school teachers, counselors, and college advisers. He identifies 12 strategies for success that mature as students do. They need to learn them.
- How to successfully graduate on time. The reasons 65 percent do not.
- What no one talks about when discussing why college costs so much.
- Why and how college students need to adopt a whole new learning strategy.
- Why college-bound students study less than an hour a day. College expects about 30 hours a week. Students can't adjust.
- College students should be career-bound. Most aren't.
- When to start to prepare for college. The earlier the better.
- Questions parents should consider long before sending their child to college.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
During his 25 years as a college academic advising dean, Dr. Bob Neuman has advised more than 12,000 students on getting the most out of college. Recognized by the media for the breadth of his experience and his plain-spokenness, Dr. Bob has been quoted in USA Today, Wall Street Journal on Campus, U.S. News and World Report, the New York Times and other national publications. In addition, he and his wife Jude do the popular weekly "Ready for College" podcast on WebTalkRadio.net. His latest books, released in August, are College Smart, College Smart Practical Tips for Parents and Start College Smart.
AVAILABILITY: Milwaukee, nationwide by arrangement and via telephone
CONTACT: Bob Neuman, (262) 784-1384; Email
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/former-dean-says-86-of-incoming-freshman-are-woefully-unprepared-for-college-300125612.html
SOURCE Dr. Bob Neuman