Historic Commemorative Plaque to be Restored to Reading Terminal Headhouse; At the Grand Hall, Entrance to the Pennsylvania Convention Center

Apr 17, 2001, 01:00 ET from Pennsylvania Convention Center Authority

    PHILADELPHIA, April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- A commemorative plaque marking the
 75th anniversary of Philadelphia's famed Reading Terminal as a transportation
 landmark will be remounted in the Reading Terminal headhouse, now the entrance
 to the Grand Hall of the Pennsylvania Convention Center (PCC) at a special
 ceremony this Friday, April 20, 2001 at 2:00 p.m.
     The plaque was originally presented by the Philadelphia Chapter, National
 Railway Historical Society (NRHS) to the Reading Company on December 11, 1968,
 to commemorate the railroad's then 75th anniversary.  Pennsylvania Convention
 Center Authority President & CEO Robert Butera suggested the headhouse
 entrance on Market Street near 12th, where there already exists several
 displays depicting the railroad heritage of Reading Terminal and its
 importance to Philadelphia.  This particular date was chosen because the
 National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) officers and board of directors
 will be meeting in Philadelphia this weekend to conduct the business of the
 Society.  The first contract for construction of Reading Terminal was let on
 July 9, 1891 and the first special train operated out of the famed trainshed
 on January 27, 1893, with the Terminal opening for full service the next day.
     Presiding over the re-dedication ceremony will be Robert Butera (President
 & CEO, PCC), Pat Walsh (VP of Facilities PCC), Gregory R. Molloy (NRHS
 President), Robert Eastwood (NRHS, Senior VP).  The Society's Philadelphia
 Chapter, founded in 1936, has nearly 500 members all interested in the
 heritage and preservation of America's railroad history.
 
 

SOURCE Pennsylvania Convention Center Authority
    PHILADELPHIA, April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- A commemorative plaque marking the
 75th anniversary of Philadelphia's famed Reading Terminal as a transportation
 landmark will be remounted in the Reading Terminal headhouse, now the entrance
 to the Grand Hall of the Pennsylvania Convention Center (PCC) at a special
 ceremony this Friday, April 20, 2001 at 2:00 p.m.
     The plaque was originally presented by the Philadelphia Chapter, National
 Railway Historical Society (NRHS) to the Reading Company on December 11, 1968,
 to commemorate the railroad's then 75th anniversary.  Pennsylvania Convention
 Center Authority President & CEO Robert Butera suggested the headhouse
 entrance on Market Street near 12th, where there already exists several
 displays depicting the railroad heritage of Reading Terminal and its
 importance to Philadelphia.  This particular date was chosen because the
 National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) officers and board of directors
 will be meeting in Philadelphia this weekend to conduct the business of the
 Society.  The first contract for construction of Reading Terminal was let on
 July 9, 1891 and the first special train operated out of the famed trainshed
 on January 27, 1893, with the Terminal opening for full service the next day.
     Presiding over the re-dedication ceremony will be Robert Butera (President
 & CEO, PCC), Pat Walsh (VP of Facilities PCC), Gregory R. Molloy (NRHS
 President), Robert Eastwood (NRHS, Senior VP).  The Society's Philadelphia
 Chapter, founded in 1936, has nearly 500 members all interested in the
 heritage and preservation of America's railroad history.
 
 SOURCE  Pennsylvania Convention Center Authority