Selects The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon as Book of the Year
TORONTO, Oct. 21, 2014 /CNW/ - Indigo (TSX: IDG), Canada's leading purveyor of ideas and inspiration, is pleased to announce its 10 Best Books of 2014. Indigo's expert team of booksellers poured over more than 10,000 titles released this year to select the most compelling, memorable and riveting reads of 2014. From a tale of artic survival to a hilarious sequel about a newly expecting couple in New York City, this year's Best Books list has something for everyone.
"Some of our choices for Indigo's Best Books of 2014 list may seem surprising. Highlighted throughout our full list are masterful works of fiction and non-fiction across all categories and ages – but one title stood out to our team for its unique approach that captured the attention of the Indigo customer—The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon." says Bahram Olfati, Senior Vice-President, Print at Indigo. "Liddon's book speaks to the interest of our customers and her book perfectly captures the zeitgeist of healthy living and the powerful influence of online communities and bloggers."
With more than 100 approachable vegan recipes, The Oh She Glows Cookbook has been a run-away bestseller since its release in January and Indigo's top-selling cookbook of 2014. The Canadian blogger's cookbook combines beautiful photography with inventive recipes and covers one of 2014's most significant cultural shifts: the groundswell of commitment to healthy eating.
"I was thrilled to find out that The Oh She Glows Cookbook was chosen as Indigo's Best Book of 2014," says Angela Liddon. "I love sharing my favourite recipes, and I'm honoured that the book is in so many kitchens across the country. It's incredible how many people are embracing vegan cooking, be it fulltime or just every now and then."
Indigo's 10 Best Books of 2014:
1. The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon Remember when eating your vegetables were a chore? Canada's favourite food blogger has made it a pleasure. Liddon's long-awaited debut cookbook, with more than one hundred mouth-watering, wholesome recipes – from revamped classics that even meat-eaters will love, to fresh and inventive dishes – all packed with flavor.
2. In The Kingdom Of Ice by Hampton Sides An un-put-down-able true story of arctic survival and comradeship. With twists and turns worthy of a thriller, In The Kingdom of Ice is a spellbinding tale of heroism and determination in the most unforgiving territory on Earth.
3. All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, the beautiful, stunningly ambitious instant New York Times bestseller about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.
4. Sweetland by Michael Crummey From the award-winning, bestselling author of Galore comes another unforgettable novel. By turns darkly comic and heartbreakingly sad, Sweetland is a deeply suspenseful story about one man's struggles against the forces of nature and the ruins of memory. A moving story about a Canadian way of life that is rapidly vanishing.
5. The Opposite Of Loneliness by Marina Keegan An affecting and hope-filled posthumous collection of essays and stories from the talented young Yale graduate whose title essay captured the world's attention in 2012 and turned her into an icon for her generation.
6. The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black From New York Timesbestselling authors Holly Black and Cassandra Clare comes a heart-stopping, mind-blowing, pulse-pounding plunge into the magical unknown. A new five book series that defies what you think you know about the world of magic.
7. The Children Act by Ian McEwan Ian McEwan's riveting look at one woman's struggle between parents' wishes and the life of a child. A brilliant, emotionally wrenching new novel from the author of Atonementand Amsterdam.
8. A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman A charming curmudgeon shows you are never too old to start embracing life. This word-of-mouth bestseller is causing a sensation across Europe; Fredrik Backman's heartwarming debut is a funny, moving, uplifting tale of love and community that will leave you with a spring in your step - and less ready to judge on first impressions a man.
9. The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion Don Tillman and Rosie Jarman are back. If you were swept away by Graeme Simsion's international smash hit The Rosie Project, you will love The Rosie Effect.
10. Sapiens by Yuval Harari All of human history. All you need to know. All in one little book. Destined to become a modern classic in the vein of Guns, Germs, and Steel, Sapiens is a lively, ground breaking history of humankind told from a unique perspective.
For the full list please visit: http://www.indigo.ca/books/best-of-2014/
ABOUT INDIGO BOOKS & MUSIC INC With books always at our heart and soul at Indigo we are about telling stories and creating experiences. Indigo is Canada's largest purveyor of ideas and inspiration to enrich your life, with books, specialty toys, gifts and lifestyle enhancing products that affordably offer intrinsic quality, beauty and timeless design. As the largest book and specialty retailer in Canada, Indigo operates in all provinces under different banners including Indigo Books & Music; Indigo Books, Gifts, Kids; IndigoSpirit, Chapters, Coles and the online channel, www.indigo.ca.
SOURCE Indigo Books & Music Inc.