CHICAGO, April 18, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- International law firm McDermott Will & Emery will convene senior tax and employee benefits leaders at its inaugural Tax Symposium on April 24th in the Firm's Chicago office. The symposium will be an in-depth discussion of the critical business and legal issues involved in optimizing opportunities and navigating the risks brought about by tax reform.
The 2017 tax reform legislation introduced the most sweeping changes to the tax code in a generation, with wide-ranging implications for both US and International companies. McDermott's exclusive, full-day Tax Symposium will address how leaders of these companies can and should plan for success under the new reality of reform.
Programming will include panel discussions on these critical issues:
- A Holistic View of Business Tax Reform – The Major Changes and Their Impact
- Integrated Planning for GILTI, FDII, the BEAT and Repatriation
- State Tax After Reform
- New Considerations for Structuring M&A Transactions
- Ethical Considerations and Guidance
The symposium will also feature in-depth discussions of tax reform's impact on the following areas:
- Intellectual Property: IP and Supply Chain Planning Post Tax Reform
- This session will illustrate several of the current common IP and supply chain structures, and changes companies might consider to achieve a more beneficial tax structure in light of the new rules.
- Foreign Based Companies: Key Implications for Foreign Based Companies and Reaction of the European Union
- This session will focus on designing cutting-edge planning strategies, taking into account potential responses by foreign governments.
- Benefit or Burden? Impact of Tax Reform on Compensation Structures and Popular Fringe Benefits
- This session will focus on developing strategies in response to the changes in deductibility of executive compensation and employee fringe benefits.
Keynote and Featured Speakers
David Lewis, Vice President (Retired) of Global Taxes at Eli Lilly and Company will give the keynote address at the event. David is one of the luminaries of the in-house tax world, and is known as a leader in tax policy after spending significant time in Washington, DC pushing through some major tax legislation, including the reform in 2017.
Featured McDermott speakers include:
- Lowell Yoder, partner and global head of McDermott's Tax Practice
- David Noren, partner and former legislation counsel to the Joint Committee on Taxation in the US Congress
- Jane May, partner and head of McDermott's State & Local Tax Practice
- Andrew Liazos, partner and head of McDermott's Executive Compensation Practice
- David Fuller, partner previously with the IRS National Office in the former Office of the Associate Chief Counsel - Employee Benefits and Exempt Organizations
- Sandra McGill, partner and head of McDermott's Chicago US and International Tax Practice
- Timothy Shuman, partner and head of McDermott's US and International Tax Practice
- Todd Welty, partner and head of McDermott's Tax Controversy Practice
To register for the symposium or to schedule a consultation with a McDermott attorney onsite, contact our Business Development team.
For additional information please visit McDermott's Tax Reform Resource Center, launched to help clients navigate the most impactful changes to the tax code in a generation. The center (www.mwe.com/taxreform) hosts in-depth video interviews with McDermott's multidisciplinary team of lawyers along with interactive tools and actionable strategies to help prepare clients for important next steps.
About McDermott Will & Emery
McDermott Will & Emery is a premier international law firm with a diversified business practice. Numbering more than 1,000 lawyers, we have offices in Boston, Brussels, Chicago, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Miami, Milan, Munich, New York, Orange County, Paris, Seoul, Silicon Valley and Washington, DC. Further extending our reach into Asia, we have a strategic alliance with MWE China Law Offices in Shanghai.
SOURCE McDermott Will & Emery