NEW YORK, Aug. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- This BCC Research report identifies unmet clinical needs based on existing ophthalmic therapeutic drugs in retinal disease and diabetes related conditions as well exploring potential new markets in the treatment of orphan diseases, retinitis pigmentosa and uveitis. Includes forecasts through 2019.
Use this report to:
- Receive a detailed analysis of the recent advances in ophthalmic therapeutic medicine and its potential impact on the pharmaceutical industry.
- Examine market factors and to identify market potential through 2019.
- Learn about the new developments in ophthalmic therapeutics including novel biologics, formulations and the launch of biosimilars and generics.
- Identify unmet clinical needs based on existing ophthalmic therapeutic drugs.
- The global ophthalmic therapeutic drug market was valued at $12.3 billion in 2014. This market is expected to reach $19 billion by 2019, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.1% from 2014 to 2019.
- The global age-related macular degeneration (AMD) market is expected to grow to nearly $7.9 billion by 2019 from nearly $5.4 billion in 2014, a CAGR of 7.8% from 2014 to 2019.
- The global glaucoma therapeutic market generated revenue of $3.8 billion in 2014, and by 2019 this segment is expected to generate $6.4 billion, with a CAGR of 11.1% from 2014 to 2019.
Introduction & Scope
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Around 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide; however, 80% of visual impairment can be prevented, detected or cured. This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the ophthalmic drug market by reviewing recent improvements in diagnosis and advances in product development, novel formulations and delivery devices, and clinical development of new drug classes to treat both the signs and symptoms of prevalent eye conditions. This report also discusses market trends and opportunities based on therapeutic areas and geographical regions. The report's main focus is to identify unmet clinical needs based on existing ophthalmic therapeutic drugs in retinal disease and diabetes-related conditions as well exploring potential new markets in the treatment of orphan diseases, retinitis pigmentosa and uveitis.
REASONS FOR DOING THE REPORT
The ophthalmic market is dominated by five major companies, Alcon (Novartis), Allergan, Merck & Co, Pfizer and Roche, each vying for pole position in key therapeutic
fields such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and glaucoma. Around 60% of global revenues are generated in the U.S.; however, many of the leading agents are
either off-patent or face patent expiry in the next five years. This will allow innovative generic and formulation specialists to generate cost-effective mono and combination
therapies, and force existing companies to develop new classes of drugs to protect their franchises and address areas of unmet clinic needs. According to the
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), there are over 50 drugs in clinical development, including small molecule agents, biopharmaceuticals,
cell and gene-based therapies, many of which target the underlying cause of diseases and not just the symptoms. In 2014, the ophthalmic therapeutic drug market was
worth around $12.3 billion, and this is forecast to rise to over $19 billion by 2019, as the industry focuses on commercially viable targets of high unmet clinical need such as
orphan drugs diseases and the treatment of dry AMD.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report on ophthalmic therapeutics drugs provides a brief description of the current status of the industry and recent developments. The report analyzes the market trends, and identifies key therapeutic and geographical challenges and rising opportunities in the developed and developing world. Finally, it will provide insights into new
developments into ophthalmic therapeutics including novel biologics, formulations and the launch of biosimilars and generics.
This report provides a detailed analysis of the recent advances in ophthalmic therapeutic medicine and its potential impact on the pharmaceutical industry; it also
examines the market factors and identifies the market potential through 2019. The study is aimed at the pharmaceutical industry, biotechnology firms, generic
manufacturers and biosimilar manufacturers, as well as formulation specialists and device manufacturers interested in enhancing the development of new and existing
products in this field.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Both primary and secondary sources were used in preparing this study. This analysis of ophthalmic therapeutic medicine breaks down the market by geography and
therapeutic field, and also analyzes current and potential opportunities for ophthalmic therapeutic drug development. It includes market values from 2013 and forecasts
market revenues through 2019. Primary research involved e-mail correspondence and telephone interviews for each market, category, segment and sub-segment across geographies. We wish to extend our thanks to those who took part in interviews for this report, especially the following,
who gave so generously of their time:
- Gregory D. Kunst, Global Marketing Director, Retina Pharmaceuticals, Alcon Inc., a Novartis Company.
- Vicente Anido, Jr., Ph.D., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Aerie Pharmaceuticals.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p0196569-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution that finds, filters and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intl: +1 339-368-6001