The Mitchell Trusts Committee Announces That Judge Rules in Favor Of 'Gone With The Wind' Heirs to Block Publication of Unauthorized Sequel

U.S. District Judge Orders Publisher Houghton Mifflin to Cease

Release of 'The Wind Done Gone'



Apr 20, 2001, 01:00 ET from The Mitchells Trusts Committee

    ATLANTA, April 20 /PRNewswire Interactive News Release/ -- Judge Charles
 A. Pannell, Jr., of the U.S. District Court of Atlanta, today ordered
 publisher Houghton Mifflin to cease publication and release of author Alice
 Randall's unauthorized sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind."
 The ruling was a victory for the Mitchell Trusts Committee -- copyright owner
 of "Gone With the Wind" -- who have been fighting to protect the copyright
 interests of Ms. Mitchell's work, since filing last month for a temporary
 restraining order against publication and distribution of Randall's "The Wind
 Done Gone."
     "We couldn't be more pleased with Judge Pannell's decision to stop
 publication of 'The Wind Done Gone' in order to protect the characters and
 content of 'Gone With the Wind' from copyright infringement," said Martin
 Garbus, attorney for the Mitchell Trusts Committee.  "The ruling clearly
 validates our position that Ms. Randall's book is a blatant and wholesale
 theft of Ms. Mitchell's work, and not the parody her publishers portrayed it
 to be."
     "While we completely respect Ms. Randall's rights and desire to tell a
 story, she is not permitted to take Ms. Mitchell's characters and tell the
 same story, merely from another viewpoint, in order to write a sequel to 'Gone
 With the Wind,'" continued Garbus.
     The Mitchell Trusts Committee was created in 1997 by Stephens Mitchell,
 Margaret Mitchell's brother, to protect his sister's masterpiece.  For more
 information please contact Martin Garbus during the week at 212-826-5522 or on
 the weekends at 212-734-1096.
 
                     MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT -  Click Here
                http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X12183628
 
 

SOURCE The Mitchells Trusts Committee
    ATLANTA, April 20 /PRNewswire Interactive News Release/ -- Judge Charles
 A. Pannell, Jr., of the U.S. District Court of Atlanta, today ordered
 publisher Houghton Mifflin to cease publication and release of author Alice
 Randall's unauthorized sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind."
 The ruling was a victory for the Mitchell Trusts Committee -- copyright owner
 of "Gone With the Wind" -- who have been fighting to protect the copyright
 interests of Ms. Mitchell's work, since filing last month for a temporary
 restraining order against publication and distribution of Randall's "The Wind
 Done Gone."
     "We couldn't be more pleased with Judge Pannell's decision to stop
 publication of 'The Wind Done Gone' in order to protect the characters and
 content of 'Gone With the Wind' from copyright infringement," said Martin
 Garbus, attorney for the Mitchell Trusts Committee.  "The ruling clearly
 validates our position that Ms. Randall's book is a blatant and wholesale
 theft of Ms. Mitchell's work, and not the parody her publishers portrayed it
 to be."
     "While we completely respect Ms. Randall's rights and desire to tell a
 story, she is not permitted to take Ms. Mitchell's characters and tell the
 same story, merely from another viewpoint, in order to write a sequel to 'Gone
 With the Wind,'" continued Garbus.
     The Mitchell Trusts Committee was created in 1997 by Stephens Mitchell,
 Margaret Mitchell's brother, to protect his sister's masterpiece.  For more
 information please contact Martin Garbus during the week at 212-826-5522 or on
 the weekends at 212-734-1096.
 
                     MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT -  Click Here
                http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X12183628
 
 SOURCE  The Mitchells Trusts Committee