DALLAS, Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- At the Strategies in Light Europe conference, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced two highly integrated, phase-dimmable AC/DC LED lighting drivers, LM3448 and TPS92070, for use in solid state lighting residential, architectural, commercial and industrial applications, such as retrofit bulbs, LED ballasts, downlights, spot lights and other luminaires. For information and samples, see: www.ti.com/lm3448-pr and www.ti.com/tps92070-pr.
TI is showcasing its LM3448 and TPS92070 at Strategies in Light Europe (booths #222, #224) in Milan, Italy, October 4-6. Strategies in Light is one of the leading events for the global LED and lighting industries.
The National LM3448 adaptive, constant-off time AC/DC constant current LED regulator integrates a 600-V MOSFET and is optimized for 2-W to 8-W dimmable LED lighting drivers. The TPS92070 flyback AC/DC constant current LED driver controller is optimized for 6-W to 20-W dimmable LED lighting drivers. Both products feature thermal shutdown, VCC under-voltage lockout, cycle-by-cycle peak current limit and LED open protection.
Key features and benefits of the LM3448
- Designed for integrated LED lamp form factors that require low component count, high-performance, dimmable LED drivers.
- Includes a phase angle dimming decoder compatible with leading-edge TRIAC and trailing-edge electronic dimmers, allowing full-range LED dimming.
- Integrated 600-V avalanche-protected, high-voltage and low Rdson MOSFET reduces design complexity while improving LED driver efficiency.
- Can be used in both isolated and non-isolated solutions based on the buck, flyback or buck-boost topology, using either active or passive (valley-fill) power factor correction (PFC) circuits.
Key features and benefits of the TPS92070
- Advanced TRIAC dimmer management circuitry accurately decodes dimmer conduction angles and produces a good exponential LED current profile to provide efficient dimming performance and uniform LED light output.
- Optimized for valley switching and tight LED current regulation (less than five percent driver-to-driver accuracy) during deep dimming.
- Innovative secondary side feedback eliminates optocouplers and error amplifiers in isolated designs, reducing size and cost while enhancing safety and reliability.
- Can be used in both isolated and non-isolated solutions based on the flyback topology and gives designers the flexibility to optimize their external component selection based on size, cost and regulatory requirements.
- Detects the presence of a TRIAC and disables the external PFC function (either valley-fill or active) for improved dimming performance.
To simplify AC/DC LED driver design, TI offers an online navigation tool that delivers a complete LED drive solution tuned to the designer's specifications, such as AC input voltage, fixture type, isolation and dimming requirements. The recommended solution is provided along with design materials such as datasheets, application notes and evaluation boards. Try out the AC/DC LED driver online navigation tool.
The LM3448 and TPS92070 join TI's portfolio of phase-dimmable LED drivers that include the National LM3450 with power factor correction and phase dimming decoding; the National LM3445, the industry's first TRIAC dimmable LED driver with both full-range and flicker-free dimming; and the TPS92210, a natural PFC LED lighting driver with cascoded MOSFET.
Find out more about TI's LED lighting portfolio:
- Order samples and evaluation modules
- View a short TPS92070 demo video:
- Download LED reference designs from TI's PowerLab™ Design Library:
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the LED forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/ledforum-pr
Availability, packaging and pricing
The LM3448 is available in volume now in a 16-pin SOIC package from TI and its authorized distributors. The suggested retail price is $1.10 in quantities of 1,000.
The TPS92070 is available now in a 16-pin TSSOP package and is priced at $0.75 in quantities of 1,000.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
PowerLab and TI E2E are TI trademarks. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated