Toyota Highlights Vision and Innovative Thinking in New Corporate Advertising Campaign, 'Today Tomorrow Toyota'

Campaign to Run in over 50 National Publications,

Including Eclectic Affinity Mix



Apr 16, 2001, 01:00 ET from Toyota Motor North America

    NEW YORK, April 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota announced today the launch of a
 new corporate advertising campaign entitled "Today Tomorrow Toyota."  The
 campaign focuses on the vision and innovative thinking of Toyota and will run
 in over 50 national publications, ranging from Newsweek to Environmental
 Design and Construction.
     "This campaign has evolved from the one running since 1997.  It continues
 the theme of Toyota as a good global neighbor, but goes beyond the facts of
 our presence in America," said Marjorie Schussel, manager of corporate
 communications for Toyota Motor North America.  "This new campaign presents
 Toyota's vision as a company, and how the projects we are investing in today
 will have a greater positive impact in the future."
     The advertisements contain three columns of text, one each under the
 "Today Tomorrow Toyota" banner. The first ad, focusing on Toyota's intelligent
 highway systems, reads, "Today ...  Develop smart highway systems to help
 traffic move more smoothly.  Tomorrow ...  Think up new excuses for being late
 to work."
     The second ad reads, "Today ...  Mass-produce a hybrid system that reduces
 smog-forming emissions by up to 90%.  Tomorrow ...  The other 10%."  In both
 ads, the "Toyota" column provides details on the highlighted program.
     The campaign was created by Oasis Advertising, New York.  "Toyota and
 Oasis have spent the last 18 months speaking with consumers and analyzing
 their attitudes toward corporations," said Paul Bernasconi, partner/creative
 director at Oasis.  "We learned that consumers are genuinely interested in
 more than information about the product or corporate facts.  They want to get
 an understanding about the spirit and philosophy of the corporation behind the
 product.
     "Toyota has always been known for making quality products, but people
 don't know as much about Toyota's visionary spirit and that the company is
 working on projects that will have a positive impact on everyday life," added
 Bernasconi.
     In addition to well-known titles such as Business Week, Newsweek, and
 National Geographic, the advertising is scheduled to run in non-traditional
 vehicles for corporate advertising.  These vertically targeted magazines and
 trade journals have audiences with a strong affinity for environmental and
 technological topics, including Architecture, Environmental Design and
 Construction, and American Scientist.
     "At a time when new media is a hot topic, we've found an innovative way to
 utilize a very traditional medium -- print -- to reach this audience," added
 Schussel.  "Toyota has worked with the creative team at Oasis for over
 12 years, and they continue to deliver high quality advertising that captures
 the many facets of Toyota as a corporation."
     Over the last ten years, Toyota has provided more than $148 million to
 support education, the environment, health and human services, community
 development, humanitarian aid and the arts in the United States.  As a member
 of the American business community since 1957, Toyota has made a substantial
 investment in its North American operations.  This investment reached
 $12 billion by the end of 2000.
 
 

SOURCE Toyota Motor North America
    NEW YORK, April 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota announced today the launch of a
 new corporate advertising campaign entitled "Today Tomorrow Toyota."  The
 campaign focuses on the vision and innovative thinking of Toyota and will run
 in over 50 national publications, ranging from Newsweek to Environmental
 Design and Construction.
     "This campaign has evolved from the one running since 1997.  It continues
 the theme of Toyota as a good global neighbor, but goes beyond the facts of
 our presence in America," said Marjorie Schussel, manager of corporate
 communications for Toyota Motor North America.  "This new campaign presents
 Toyota's vision as a company, and how the projects we are investing in today
 will have a greater positive impact in the future."
     The advertisements contain three columns of text, one each under the
 "Today Tomorrow Toyota" banner. The first ad, focusing on Toyota's intelligent
 highway systems, reads, "Today ...  Develop smart highway systems to help
 traffic move more smoothly.  Tomorrow ...  Think up new excuses for being late
 to work."
     The second ad reads, "Today ...  Mass-produce a hybrid system that reduces
 smog-forming emissions by up to 90%.  Tomorrow ...  The other 10%."  In both
 ads, the "Toyota" column provides details on the highlighted program.
     The campaign was created by Oasis Advertising, New York.  "Toyota and
 Oasis have spent the last 18 months speaking with consumers and analyzing
 their attitudes toward corporations," said Paul Bernasconi, partner/creative
 director at Oasis.  "We learned that consumers are genuinely interested in
 more than information about the product or corporate facts.  They want to get
 an understanding about the spirit and philosophy of the corporation behind the
 product.
     "Toyota has always been known for making quality products, but people
 don't know as much about Toyota's visionary spirit and that the company is
 working on projects that will have a positive impact on everyday life," added
 Bernasconi.
     In addition to well-known titles such as Business Week, Newsweek, and
 National Geographic, the advertising is scheduled to run in non-traditional
 vehicles for corporate advertising.  These vertically targeted magazines and
 trade journals have audiences with a strong affinity for environmental and
 technological topics, including Architecture, Environmental Design and
 Construction, and American Scientist.
     "At a time when new media is a hot topic, we've found an innovative way to
 utilize a very traditional medium -- print -- to reach this audience," added
 Schussel.  "Toyota has worked with the creative team at Oasis for over
 12 years, and they continue to deliver high quality advertising that captures
 the many facets of Toyota as a corporation."
     Over the last ten years, Toyota has provided more than $148 million to
 support education, the environment, health and human services, community
 development, humanitarian aid and the arts in the United States.  As a member
 of the American business community since 1957, Toyota has made a substantial
 investment in its North American operations.  This investment reached
 $12 billion by the end of 2000.
 
 SOURCE  Toyota Motor North America